A Few New Ones from my Personal Stash

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

The first one is made from the new RedWood blanks Exoticblanks is currently selling. I managed to pick one up a few weeks ago while Ed was cutting them. I love the character in redwood and it was not a hard decision to make this one for me. It's dressed on a rhodium jr gent. with a Gluboost finish.

The second one was created with one of my custom blanks on a Rhodium Jr Stateman. I made the blank from an old watch over one of my Moonglow opal blanks, clear cast in urathane resin. At the time of construction I had every intent to keep it for myself, but decided to let it go to the AAW's virtual auction this July. They are a great organization!
https://auction.woodturner.org/AAW-Contemporary-Wood-Art-Auctions-2021_as74593
I call it "Salute the Flag" for obvious reasons.

The third one is a new opal color that will be available in my line of opal blanks Very Soon! It's called "Passion Opal" named because of its color. This one is dressed on a Diamond Knurl pen. I tried to capture all of the colors it has to offer but they are very difficult to photograph because of there color shifting properties, especially in natural light.

Thanks for looking!
All comments welcome!

Attachments

• redwood jr (5).jpg
    redwood jr (5).jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 229
  • Salute pen.JPG
    Salute pen.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 216
  • passion opal (1).jpg
    passion opal (1).jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 221
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The first one is made from the new RedWood blanks Exoticblanks is currently selling. I managed to pick one up a few weeks ago while Ed was cutting them. I love the character in redwood and it was not a hard decision to make this one for me. It's dressed on a rhodium jr gent. with a Gluboost finish.

The second one was created with one of my custom blanks on a Rhodium Jr Stateman. I made the blank from an old watch over one of my Moonglow opal blanks, clear cast in urathane resin. At the time of construction I had every intent to keep it for myself, but decided to let it go to the AAW's virtual auction this July. They are a great organization!

The third one is a new opal color that will be available in my line of opal blanks Very Soon! It's called "Passion Opal" named because of its color. This one is dressed on a Diamond Knurl pen. I tried to capture all of the colors it has to offer but they are very difficult to photograph because of there color shifting properties, especially in natural light.

Thanks for looking!
All comments welcome!

Thanks for looking!
All comments welcome!
Great combinations and beautiful pens, John! I just ordered some of the new stabilized redwood from Exotic Blanks and am excited to work on them. Really nice on that Jr Gent!

Will be sure to try your new Opal blanks once they are available. I got some of your Dichrolam blanks earlier this year and they look like a million bucks.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful artistry John. The casts are superb and that Redwood is stunning. I always love seeing your work.

mnerland

John, absolutely beautiful on all 3. My question is to you, since the Redwood is "your" pen, I see you chose non-postable. Just curious on that decision. Personally, I love the clean look, but I don't turn many fountains or rollerballs. Beautiful wood! The others are fantastic, just not in my skill set, yet.

JohnU

John, absolutely beautiful on all 3. My question is to you, since the Redwood is "your" pen, I see you chose non-postable. Just curious on that decision. Personally, I love the clean look, but I don't turn many fountains or rollerballs. Beautiful wood! The others are fantastic, just not in my skill set, yet.
Thanks Michael. I really like the look of the non postable. I prefer the larger diameter yet shorter metal transition of the metal from the wood. I feel postable threads on the lower end distract and moves the eye from the body material to the metal threads. Just my opinion. Also, Since it's a "desk" type pen, removing the cap and placing it on the desk top doesn't bother me.

Don't sell yourself short. If you can turn a pen with bushings, you can turn a rollerball or fountain pens. Just work on one tube at a time and feel out your desired shape. Some materials just need to be worked a little slower than others.

Kcimdrib

John I think your getting the hang of it. Seriously great Pens from the Master.

Top Bottom