A Few More Wooden Faceplates

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Made a few more faceplate's this afternoon.
My other three are tied up on jigs for segmented turning and other things and one is on a segmented bowl in progress so I needed another one for a different project I am starting.
Figured . . heck I might as well make a few spares while I had the tools out .
Three are red oak and one is white birch.
Sure saves a lot when you can make them instead of buying metal ones

388942630.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

Those are really nice. I just purchased a tap that is the same size as my threading on my lathe. I bought it to make face plates for my lathe and seeing these makes me eager to do it.

W.Y.

Those are really nice. I just purchased a tap that is the same size as my threading on my lathe. I bought it to make face plates for my lathe and seeing these makes me eager to do it.

Cindy.
You won't believe how easy it is to use once you try out your new tap and it will pay for itself in no time.
I presume it is the Beal tap you have . ? .

You are probably aware of it but just in case you are not , do not make those faceplates in end grain wood. Only face grain .

I have several Beal products , . . . . Collet chuck, six wheel buffer system , wood tap , etc and every one has been top notch quality and well worth its price . . .

As mentioned, some of mine were in use and I needed another one.
Here is one that is presently in use on a segmented vessel that I have just started gluing up 24 segment rings for and it will be on that one until it is finished. They run just as true as a steel or aluminum one or I wouldn't be using them on something requiring the degree of accuracy that segmentation demands.

RingMistake2.jpg
[/IMG]

nava1uni

William,
Thanks for the informations about end grain. I didn't know this beforehand. It is because the face grain has more tensile strength and will hold the threads better? I always learn things from you in our contact. Thanks a lot.

THarvey

William,

The red oak looks like you glued up stock for the chucks. What kind of glue did you use?

How tall is the cycliner of the chuck?

Thanks

W.Y.

William,

The red oak looks like you glued up stock for the chucks. What kind of glue did you use?

How tall is the cycliner of the chuck?

Thanks

Tim.
I cut those out of a very old 2.25" red oak mantle piece that was given to me from someone doing a renovation and you just pointed out someting that I had not noticed after me saying to use face grain rather than end grain. That is what Mr Beal recommends.
The laminations are so well done on the face of that particular piece that I didn't notice them and thought I was using face grain. Now after examination it is indeed end grain. Oh well , I am not going to worry about it with a piece of hardwood of that quality . The reason for not using end grain is that the threads can chip when tapping them but maybe that only happens with certain woods. . These didn't chip at all .
To be on the safe side I will run some thin CA into the threads and run the tap through again and they will be good to go.

Oakforchucks.jpg

That red oak mantle piece was just over 8" wide by about 8 feet long . I turned some 8" bowls out of it and I also laminated two 16" long pieces together with Titebond 3 glue to make this 16" diameter chip and dip bowl/platter.

I got pretty good milealge out of that old mant;epiece .
Can't beat good wood for the price of it. :biggrin:

382227267.jpg

Top Bottom