A few more of my first casting attempts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DJBPenmaker

DJBPenmaker

I think I've got the hang of casting my own glitter blanks now. I'm so very pleased with the effect and have already 'lost' four I've made.

20210706_144507.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@DJBPenmaker

Derek, can you please give me a link to that pen kit on Taylors Mirfield. . . I am having trouble finding it.

I see the "Athena pen kit", but I don't seem to be able to find the "Athena 88 pen kit".

WIDirt

Magpens,

I found this link.

magpens

Magpens,

I found this link.

I see ... that does seem to deal with "Athena 88" .... but includes no picture .... and no mention of the Schmidt SKM-88 click mech.

And I notice that the 4 pens in Derek's picture above DO seem to have the Schmidt SKM-88. . So ... I am still puzzled.

DJBPenmaker

@DJBPenmaker

Derek, can you please give me a link to that pen kit on Taylors Mirfield. . . I am having trouble finding it.

I see the "Athena pen kit", but I don't seem to be able to find the "Athena 88 pen kit".
Here you go, there doesn't seem to be a photo though.
Hope that helps.

DJBPenmaker

@DJBPenmaker

Hope that helps

magpens

Hope that helps

Thanks, Derek !

Not only is there no picture ..... there seems to be no mention of the Schmidt SKM-88 Click Mechanisms either .....

..... and it is MOSTLY the SKM-88 Click Mechanism which would make the Athena 88 Pen Kit appealing ..... at least to me !! . :) :) :)

YES ..... I separately got your picture of the SKM-88 mechanism ..... and that is the confirmation that I need ..... THANKS VERY MUCH !!

KenB259

I have seen other posts, that assert that the Athena is the same as a PSI Devon. Looks a little different to me though.

magpens

I have seen other posts, that assert that the Athena is the same as a PSI Devon. Looks a little different to me though.

@KenB259

Just FYI, Ken, based on what I have learned this morning ....
There seem to be two Athena kits :-

1) the original Athena kit which bears strong resemblance to the Devon ( or Devin ? ) and uses the "same" clicker

2) a (probably very new) new kit called the Athena 88 which employs the Schmidt SKM-88 mechanism, not yet properly documented on the Taylors Mirfield website. . The listing does not include a picture and does not even contain explicit mention of the SKM-88.
I believe it is the new version (which includes the SKM-88) which is pictured in the starting post for this thread .

Turners Warehouse in the US also seems to stock the original Athena. . I would think Chad may also at least know about the Athena 88.

PatrickR

Great looking pens! are you using a specific glitter?
as to the kits - i think they would look better if the mech was plated the same as the rest of the kit.

magpens

@PatrickR

.... as to the kits - i think they would look better if the mech was plated the same as the rest of the kit.

You are RIGHT, Patrick ..... unfortunately, the Schmidt click mechanism .... the SKM-88 .... is not supplied in a variety of platings.

Precisely the same issue applies to other kit families that employ the SKM-88 .... including .....

1) the DuraClick EDC from PSI - - https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SEARCH&q=DuraClick+Pen+Kit+EDC

2) the Luxor from William Wood-Write - - https://www.penblanks.ca/search.php?mode=search&page=1&keep_https=yes

3) the Athena 88 (as above) from Taylors Mirfield - - website listing presently incomplete and has no pictures

Last edited:

DJBPenmaker

Thanks, Derek !

Not only is there no picture ..... there seems to be no mention of the Schmidt SKM-88 Click Mechanisms either .....

..... and it is MOSTLY the SKM-88 Click Mechanism which would make the Athena 88 Pen Kit appealing ..... at least to me !! . :) :) :)

YES ..... I separately got your picture of the SKM-88 mechanism ..... and that is the confirmation that I need ..... THANKS VERY MUCH !

Do you use a pressure pot. Also it does look a bit messy is it.
Hi, no I haven't got a pressure pot, I just mix and pour very very carefully and keep it at 40c whilst setting. First I paint the tube an appropriate colour, then coat it in mod Podge and sprinkle the glitter over whilst wet. I never touch the glitter. Any glitter from sprinkling falls on a sheet of paper and I funnel it back into the container. When dry I gently blow off any loose glitter from the tube and then cast. The glitter is holographic glitter. The effect in light is stunning. Photography doesn't really show the effect. If I knew how to upload a short video I could show the effect when the pen is moved in the sun/light.

Kcimdrib

Hi, no I haven't got a pressure pot, I just mix and pour very very carefully and keep it at 40c whilst setting. First I paint the tube an appropriate colour, then coat it in mod Podge and sprinkle the glitter over whilst wet. I never touch the glitter. Any glitter from sprinkling falls on a sheet of paper and I funnel it back into the container. When dry I gently blow off any loose glitter from the tube and then cast. The glitter is holographic glitter. The effect in light is stunning. Photography doesn't really show the effect. If I knew how to upload a short video I could show the effect when the pen is moved in the sun/light.
Well thanks for that and I guess its messy. You have certainly done a great job. But don't think I can share your enthusiasm I'll stick to trees but good luck with your endeavours. Look forward to seeing more.

Top Bottom