A few more lidded boxes for practice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobostro61

Bobostro61

2-3/4 x 3-1/4 Sweet Gum, 3-1/2 x 2-1/2 Rainbow Poplar, and 4-1/2 x 5 Walnut. All finished with friction polish. Not sure why the poplar one doesn't shine in the photo like it really does. Such are iPhone photos I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_2430.jpg
    IMG_2430.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2437.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 254
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

very nice. I like to put a burn mark on the seam as well. Folks won't know where it splits when the look at it with that great grain match.

wyone

Great boxes... I am wondering.. have you considered making boxes for the Beads of Courage program?

I have only made one so far, but want to make more. Time and skills is what I am lacking now.

In case you are not aware of the Beads of Courage program, you can find more info in this thread.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/beads-courage-bowl-127211/

Basically the organization gives beads to young cancer patients for each procedure they go through and they need lidded boxes to keep them in. This is not a high profile thing by any means, but the value to the kids has to be priceless. They have gone through things that even adults should not have to, and keep going. The boxes are just something that they can hold and keep their beads in.

I was turned onto this by Mark James.

I want to do more, I think it is a great cause, and something that we all could do. You obviously have mastered the skills really well, and could turn one, two or even 12 boxes out with success. I am still at the hoping to have one success in 12 attempts. But I still am submitting, because the kids don't look if there is a slight defect, if things are not perfect. It is theirs, their special box, a place to keep memories of their journey.

I encourage anyone who has the skills to turn a lidded bowl to try it.

I also have to note that Exotic Blanks has the actual beads they will contribute to the cause if you ask them. They have given the cause a donation in order to get the beads, but give the beads freely to anyone who wants to contribute to this great cause.

The direct website is Beads of Courage - Arts in Medicine for Children with Serious Illness

Top Bottom