A Few Glue Ups

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Got nine to turn from boards into bowls in the near future .
Still patiently waiting for my new DeWalt DW735X planer to arrive so I can plane the segmented ones flat before cutting the rings on the RM .

Still have relatives visiting from Ontario and taking day trips and being in the middle of a heat wave don't know how much shop time I will get in the next while.

The blank that is on the RM is 11.5" diameter.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

One of the demonstrators at the AAW Symposium in Tampa (I believe it was Stephen Marlow) showed how to do this on the lathe with a 1/16" parting tool and a small, home-made jig to keep the tool at a 45° angle. The demo was called "Flat Boards to Bowls".

W.Y.

I decided I better get in my shop and turn the boards at the top of this thread into bowls because I wanted to get them out of the way in order to clean up my shop and put a lacquer finish on a Martin Acoustic guitar.

These six are all 8" diameter. It is the photography that makes them look different sizes ,

They all have one application of sanding sealer and four coats of Semi Gloss WB lacquer

The large one here is the one that was shown on the RM and its finished size is 11.25 inch diameter and the other two both 9" diameter. There is some poplar in the mix of wood in those with some cool varying shades of green color.

Top Bottom