A Different Kind of Cherry Pen Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from flairwoodworks

Much of my work is experimental, and that has been the basis of my education in woodworking (and life). This is a pen that I made from cherry several years ago.
1624202481652.png

I like how the wood grain looks in the light - it's especially neat when rotated as the colour pattern seems to twist.

The pen blank was made form layers of cherry veneer laminated with each successive layer slightly rotated.
1624202643906.png

I used some thin oil-based polyurethane to accentuate the grain (soak more into the end grain and less into the face grain).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Chris, that is a fascinating experiment with cherry veneer laminated to make a pen barrel !!!

Thanks very much for showing.

It would be interesting to explore other woods for similar properties. . Are you aware of any ?

It would be interesting to explore other woods for similar properties. . Are you aware of any ?
Hi Mal,

I believe the effect seen is the result of light reflecting differently off of the end grain versus the long grain, and nearly all woods exhibit this property. The few woods that may not produce this sort of effect are the super dense ones such as boxwood and Lignum vitae. For pens, I would avoid soft woods due to reasons of structural integrity unless strengthened via stabilization or another method.

PatrickR

nice effect. It turned out well. I tried something similar by stacking veneer and rotating each piece 90* But it didn't make it to the blank stage. My glue joints were week.

Kcimdrib

Just when I thought I had peeked up pops this beautiful Pen life is a journey not a race. Think I better get a move on.

Top Bottom