A different braiding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

Thought I would try this different braiding on a couple pens. The gear Shift kit is one I owed a friend for some time and is a chrome kit with black highlights. The Zen is a black chrome kit.

The braiding is stainless steel and brass interwoven. It looks pretty cool in person. It was cast in Silmar41 resin. Thanks for looking. :)

Attachments

• Copy_of_IMGP0396__1550712687_44979.jpg
    Copy_of_IMGP0396__1550712687_44979.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 471
  • Copy_of_IMGP0395__1550712772_58582.jpg
    Copy_of_IMGP0395__1550712772_58582.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Very nice. I haven't had the best of luck casting braid in PR. Got a trick you use?

Gary

Not really. I have always followed the same methods that were talked about when braiding first hit the scene here many years ago. I think the key is twofold. One is to warm the resin before adding the accelerant and the second is definitely use a pressure pot. As I said I have been using Silmar for all time I have been casting. Have done some epoxy resin casting but save that for things like watch parts.I use between 4 and 5 drops per ounce after I warm the resin. This makes the resin thinner and has way less bubbles. I then put in pressure pot at about 50lbs. I did forget to mention that I adhere the braiding to the tube using the same resin but do not thin it. Maybe that is a trick not sure because I never did it any other way. I learned alot of this from CaptG. Hope it helps and thanks for the kind words.I am sure to add this braiding to the list of braidings I use.:):)

vtgaryw

Yeah, I've never cast PR in a pressure pot, only epoxies. I do like PR though, and I've been planning on trying it in a pressure pot. Thanks.

Gary

jttheclockman

Yeah, I've never cast PR in a pressure pot, only epoxies. I do like PR though, and I've been planning on trying it in a pressure pot. Thanks.

Gary

Well that could be your answer. I think PR resin needs pressure more than epoxy. I have cast epoxy without pressure as an experiment and that stuff came out great either way. I just do not take a chance being I have a pressure pot set up. :):) Good luck.

vtgaryw

Gary

Well that could be your answer. I think PR resin needs pressure more than epoxy. I have cast epoxy without pressure as an experiment and that stuff came out great either way. I just do not take a chance being I have a pressure pot set up. :):) Good luck.

Most of what I do in PR without pressure comes out fine, but two types of blanks are a bit problematic: blanks that are too smooth, that is, the PR has nothing to grab onto, and blanks that have a lot of cavities you need to force the resin into (like braid.)

Gary

jttheclockman

Thanks all for the kind words. It was hard to photograph because the light hitting it and the way the weave goes through it. But it is different and I like it. I think I will use it more often in the future. Feels good making a pen or two again.:):):)

vtgaryw

Gary

JT, how long do you keep the PR under pressure? And what pressure do you use?

Txs,
-gary

jttheclockman

Gary

JT, how long do you keep the PR under pressure? And what pressure do you use?

Txs,
-gary

I usually do casting last thing that day in the shop because of the fumes if using Silmar. But as a whole I cast at 50PSI and let sit over night so say 12 hours. I have a HF pot and does not lose an ounce of pressure. After that I take blank out and if I need to turn quickly I will put in toaster oven for 1/2 hour and usually not in a hurry so I put it next to a radiator to let the warm heat cure it. Summer time stick in a window where the sun is shining. More info than you asked but that is my basic routine. Has worked for many years. :):):)

Top Bottom