A different box illusion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

These will be my last pens for a while since I am moving into a larger shop trailer and have to remodel it arrives later today. On the bright side I will move into an 8x35 trailer from my present 8x14.

So I made a "tumbling box bowl a while ago and kept thinking that I should attempt to make some of those boxes in a pen. This is the result.

The boxes ae from bloodwood, a mystery yellow wood and cherry. The boxes are embedded in maple and walnut.

What do you think?

new box illusion.jpg
new box illusion 2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

I thought I liked your box design you shared a couple days ago, but now I have a new design to also like... a lot!

I like the darker boxes encapsulated in the Maple. Looks amazing.

Thanks.

Kcimdrib

These will be my last pens for a while since I am moving into a larger shop trailer and have to remodel it arrives later today. On the bright side I will move into an 8x35 trailer from my present 8x14.

So I made a "tumbling box bowl a while ago and kept thinking that I should attempt to make some of those boxes in a pen. This is the result.

The boxes ae from bloodwood, a mystery yellow wood and cherry. The boxes are embedded in maple and walnut.

What do you think?

View attachment 355728 View attachment 355729
Wonderful work

SteveJ

Wow, that's really cool! And impressive. Are the pieces laser cut? I'd love to see the process.

Some of it is laser cut. Each blank is made up of three 1/4 inch pieces (either walnut or maple) with laser cut hexagons into which I inserted the "boxes"

I hand cut the pieces of the boxes using a thin kerf pull saw.

PXL_20230622_173511831.jpg

PXL_20230621_164852608.jpg

PXL_20230621_164837267.MP.jpg

sorcerertd

Some of it is laser cut. Each blank is made up of three 1/4 inch pieces (either walnut or maple) with laser cut hexagons into which I inserted the "boxes"

I hand cut the pieces of the boxes using a thin kerf pull saw.
Thanks Steve. That makes sense of it for me. Did you drill it after you inserted the "boxes" into the square blank then?

Also, I love those pull saws. They have to be my favorite hand saw to use.

Top Bottom