A diamond

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

Mark James had said he was working on a diamond inlay which he showed in his post: Diamond Designs

It inspired me to try also and this is the result. A single diamond on a bolt action. Woods are padauk (the diamond) east indian rosewood (outlining the diamond), maple, mahogany, an unknown veneer, cedar and purple heart.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180630_065532 (2).jpg
    20180630_065532 (2).jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 467
  • 20180630_065521 (2).jpg
    20180630_065521 (2).jpg
    204 KB · Views: 459
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That came out superb Steve; yes, that is what I was envisioning. Your precision and color scheme are also great.

You are probably ahead of this already, but the next step is for 2 or 3 diamonds equally spaced.

Well done.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
How thick was your inlay Steve? Prior to my diamond pen, I have not favored the 2-sided patterns, but I do have to admit I was pleased with mine, and yours is very appealing. I may need to revisit my prejudices; although I want to play with the 6 slotted ones a bit more.

It's fun to see what you and Dale Parrott are doing.

SteveJ

This was actually the second one of these I attempted. The first was too thick for my liking so I scraped it - but once I set the fence I didn't need to measure them again. Got to love the Byrnes saw and thickness sander.

yQZAnplm.jpg

The total thickness of the inlay is .257 inches. I believe the glue up will get me at least one more blank.

Woodchipper

My concern is getting the pieces accurate enough for a proper fit. I guess I need to check the website here for more information.

SteveJ

You are correct, the accuracy is important. The two slices need to be equal thickness and square to one another. Otherwise you end up with joints that don't match up well on one side while being spot on on the other side. One way to deal with that is to cut the slices in half before gluing (don't try that on a regular table saw - although you could do it on a bandsaw). With slices which are only 3/8 on an inch wide you have an easier aligning the chevrons.

On this particular design getting the diamond to meet correctly on both sides was a challenge. If you are off by the slightest amount it really shows.

Top Bottom