A departure from me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

I don't do much acrylic and these, I believe , are my first segmented pens that incorporate acrylic. The blue one is holly with a blue, green swirled acrylic. The other one is maple, chechen and black, gold swirled acrylic. Both pens are GT Knurls , one chrome, the other, black and chrome. Funny observation, I told my wife , I have no idea why, but the blue one makes me think of The Beach Boys. She looked up pictures of them from back in the day, and it seems they wore blue and white stripped shirts a lot. Critiques always welcome.
IMG_1935.JPG
IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1937.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice work, Ken !!!

I'd like to know, please, how many longitudinal sections there are on each pen. . Looks like about 16.

And how do you do the longitudinal cuts ? ... table saw, I suppose, but done when the blank is square cross-section or after it has been rounded ? . Maybe you have invented yet another jig for doing those cuts !!

Last edited:

Mike P

Nice work, Ken !!!

I'd like to know, please, how many longitudinal sections there are on each pen. . Looks like about 16.

And how do you do the longitudinal cuts ? ... table saw, I suppose, but done when the blank is square cross-section or after it has been rounded ? . Maybe you have invented yet another jig for doing those cuts !!
I was wondering the same!

KenB259

Nice work, Ken !!!

You're right on both counts. There are 16 sections. They are cut whilst the blank is square on my table saw and of course I made a jig for it [emoji16]

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful duet Ken! I love the combination of materials and the precision is as typical superb. Very nice to see more of your artistry.

Thanks for sharing. 👍

TonyL

Very nice! I would love to see the jig and make blank with vertical lines only.

KenB259

Very nice! I would love to see the jig and make blank with vertical lines only.
Pretty simple jig. Blank is held at 45 degrees in the front and laid down flat in the back. You can cut any number of slots by turning the blank round and then just put a reference mark on the blank as well as the jig, all these cuts would be made in the front section. Only thing that's required for this jig to work well is a perfectly square blank.
AD36B393-B1C8-48F1-880A-E177C4AF38DE.jpeg

jttheclockman

You could also do staves or use my jig and use a router or you can make a jig like he did and still use a router and then can adjust the size of the slots to whatever you want. Can vary them too. Need to think outside the box when it comes to segmenting. Many ways to achieve the same look. I like the use of wood incorporated with acrylic.

KenB259

You could also do staves or use my jig and use a router or you can make a jig like he did and still use a router and then can adjust the size of the slots to whatever you want. Can vary them too. Need to think outside the box when it comes to segmenting. Many ways to achieve the same look. I like the use of wood incorporated with acrylic.

I have a similar jig to this for my router table too , but I like the saw better. I can vary the slot width on the back by cutting it ever so slightly off center and turning the blank around and cutting it again. It will be perfectly centered but a little wider.

jttheclockman

I have a similar jig to this for my router table too , but I like the saw better. I can vary the slot width on the back by cutting it ever so slightly off center and turning the blank around and cutting it again. It will be perfectly centered but a little wider.

Whatever works for you. For me I router on my lathe and can do any size slots or amounts and with an indexing ring I can make any combination but that is just me the way I do things.

SteveJ

Nice looking pens - alignment is spot on and the use of both acrylic and wood is well done. I made a similar jig for my bandsaw, but was making through cuts rather than partial cuts. I've used a jig on my lathe with a router to cut slots in a rounded blank. I believe Mark James does his that way.

KenB259

I think it would work on a bandsaw. I believe the infill would have to match kerf to keep the blank square. You could cut all the way through or leave a section on the end uncut. Either way would probably work.

Richard92

Thanks Ken will have put that jig on my list of To Do jobs. Can you tell me how I put this thread so that I can find it for future reference. I haven't found out how to do it on here. Every site is different.

magpens

@Richard92

Can you tell me how I put this thread so that I can find it for future reference.

There may be better ways to do this Richard. But what I do is this.

I copy the URL from the top of the screen and email it to myself. . I include a title (of my own wording) and a descriptive message.

jttheclockman

Bookmark it Under your name. Top of the page there is a symbol next to the number of the post. Click on that and name it or give it a title and click save. When you want to see it click on your name at the top (in blue)and next to your account you will see bookmarks. Find the one you want. When you bookmark it the symbol turns blue.

Richard92

Bookmark it Under your name. Top of the page there is a symbol next to the number of the post. Click on that and name it or give it a title and click save. When you want to see it click on your name at the top (in blue)and next to your account you will see bookmarks. Find the one you want. When you bookmark it the symbol turns blue.
That's the one I have been looking for. I book marked some of Ken's but couldn't find them 🤣🤣
Sorted now thanks John

Top Bottom