A day at the park

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

A couple years ago I had a friend give me some sweet gum pods to cast for him. I liked how they turned but had a problem finding them locally. Anyone that had a tree cut it down because they didn't like having the pods all over the yard. A week back I found a small group of Sweet Gum trees in a local park but needed permission to pick them up. Asking worked out and I spent an afternoon filling five Rubbermaid thirty something gallon totes full of pods. (I spent the next three days recovering from the million squats I put my legs and back through). I managed to get a couple Alumiite (3 color) poured and turned for the park rangers as a thank you. I'm looking forward to playing with some other multi color pours.
Unfortunately the photo is a little dark from my cell phone pict.

Attachments

• 211063A4-0E8F-4329-B31C-00A8022582BC.jpg
    211063A4-0E8F-4329-B31C-00A8022582BC.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
With that many pods, I suspect you will be as busy as you want - but its nice to get them in and drying/stored for the future. At my business I had a bunch of these trees and the pods were all over, alas 10-20 years ago.

The picture is fine with the final zoom. Nice colors, and very well defined pods. The colors are a nice mix.

(Sorry John, a young nipper like you should be able do do squats for weeks on end.)

MRDucks2

I like the way that "turned" out. When I still lived North of Houston (Magnolia) we had a couple of sweet gum trees that produced enough balls I could rake the up and shovel them into my fire pit.

Now I have a box full, some already stabilized, from Dalecamino and have beginning to cast so it will be interesting. Cast my first wood hybrids a couple of weeks ago and discovered something fascinating... wood floats! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

JohnU

I've never stabilized mine. Just dried in the oven and poured over. I'm playing with different techniques to cast them for different looks. This one was vertical cast which is why the colors are layered down the pen. I delivered two of them today to the guy who gave me permission to pick them up. He was shocked to see how they turned out. In the process a few office clerks seen them and made requests. lol

deeceedub

If anyone ever wants sweet gum balls, just let me know. They are all over my neighborhood and my mom has a tree in her backyard as well.

Top Bottom