A couple slims

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sorcerertd

sorcerertd

I hadn't turned any of slims in a long time. Definitely not my best work, but I'm happy with them. Believe it or not, these are both eucalyptus.

That tighter grained blank was just labeled eucalyptus. The blue band was a leftover piece from a piece of dyed box elder burl. I was originally going to use gunmetal, but liked the brighter chrome better on it.

The longer one was supposed to be a euro, but I turned the ends to the diameter of a slim. I used my Rick Herrell offset sanding jig to shorten the bottom barrel down to where the diameter fit the euro tip, but calipers told me the top end was just not going to work with the euro top so it's now a hybrid. I could have sworn the tips were the same size for the slim and the euro and only the top was different. Guess I'm going to have a euro with a slim tip some time in the future. Anyway, that one is figured eucalyptus with a band of brown mallee.

20220703_173959.jpg

20220703_174118.jpg

20220703_174252.jpg 20220703_174336.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

I hadn't turned any of slims in a long time. Definitely not my best work, but I'm happy with them. Believe it or not, these are both eucalyptus.

That tighter grained blank was just labeled eucalyptus. The blue band was a leftover piece from a piece of dyed box elder burl. I was originally going to use gunmetal, but liked the brighter chrome better on it.

The longer one was supposed to be a euro, but I turned the ends to the diameter of a slim. I used my Rick Herrell offset sanding jig to shorten the bottom barrel down to where the diameter fit the euro tip, but calipers told me the top end was just not going to work with the euro top so it's now a hybrid. I could have sworn the tips were the same size for the slim and the euro and only the top was different. Guess I'm going to have a euro with a slim tip some time in the future. Anyway, that one is figured eucalyptus with a band of brown mallee.

View attachment 337753
View attachment 337754
View attachment 337755 View attachment 337756
Could you show the offset sanding jig? Very nice job!

MedWoodWorx

sorcerertd

So in your experience that jig works better that a trimmer? The round disc attached to your lathe is a diy sander with a velcro attached to it? Thank you for your time and response, cheers.
It works much better, doesn't stress the blank. I've had too many chips, cracks, and blowouts with a drill type trimmer. The discs are psa (basically peel and stick) on a piece from a sink cutout.

Top Bottom