A couple of ugly ducklings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

These are definitely not show off pens. My wife likes them, I find them ugly. What do you all think?
IMG_1443.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'd love to be able to zoom in and get a better look. From what I see, they're a winner. Maybe not as refined as you want, but certainly worthy of further tweaks.

Very cool concept.

KenB259

I want to get rid of the radii at the top and bottom and have clearly defined angled stripes. I think it's going to be next to impossible because I think the depth of cut needs to fall right in the middle of the thickness of the finished blank. I'll attach a bigger image if that will helpView attachment 230320

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Maybe part off at the point where the radii starts and extend your end caps? (If I understand your thought).

jttheclockman

You know Ken I was thinking the same thing. If you could have used thumbnails it would help I think. Would love to see the blank up close. You have me stumped as to your method. If you could at least reveal the tool may help. You are really doing things in the segmenting fields that is getting interesting and challenging and this is exactly what I have been preaching here for some time. New blood and new ideas. great to see. I guess I will be trying to duplicate your blanks now. Thanks for the challenge as if I do not have enough to do :)

My guess is a tablesaw cut and you angled the blank. If that be the case then why not try a router and do the same thing. You will have round ends.

KenB259

You know Ken I was thinking the same thing. If you could have used thumbnails it would help I think. Would love to see the blank up close. You have me stumped as to your method. If you could at least reveal the tool may help. You are really doing things in the segmenting fields that is getting interesting and challenging and this is exactly what I have been preaching here for some time. New blood and new ideas. great to see. I guess I will be trying to duplicate your blanks now. Thanks for the challenge as if I do not have enough to do :)

John I post here from my phone, not sure how to post thumbnails,my options when I post photos is small, medium, or original. I will be glad to reveal my method, but I'll wait until I am closer to perfection. Thanks much for your encouragement. I have learned much from you and I do appreciate you and others here.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

John I post here from my phone, not sure how to post thumbnails,my options when I post photos is small, medium, or original. I will be glad to reveal my method, but I'll wait until I am closer to perfection. Thanks much for your encouragement. I have learned much from you and I do appreciate you and others here.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
That is OK. I know nothing about those phones. I use a flip phone and do this on a desk top computer that is 20 years old.

jttheclockman

My problem is I have too many ideas rolling around in my head. I also am thinking of ideas for 2 hobbies which makes it twice as bad. When I do get started I then have about 10 projects going at once and none get done. I wish I were more focused. Look forward to your progress on this interesting design.

Grampy

My problem is I have too many ideas rolling around in my head. I also am thinking of ideas for 2 hobbies which makes it twice as bad. When I do get started I then have about 10 projects going at once and none get done. I wish I were more focused.
DITTO that!

Woodchipper

Those are good pens. The thing about pen turning is you don't know what a customer will buy...even if we don't care for the wood/finish/design, etc. I would like some info on the pen racks.

KenB259

Those are good pens. The thing about pen turning is you don't know what a customer will buy...even if we don't care for the wood/finish/design, etc. I would like some info on the pen racks.

The pen stands I make myself. I have been offering them for sale to people that buy pens from me. Kind of fun to make too, but then what isn't.

KenB259

The ugly ducklings have been transformed. I changed the cut angle from 10.5 to o 6 degrees. I'm attaching pictures of my jig as well as some pictures along the way. If you can do a Celtic knot, you can do these, they are essentially a celtic knot at an extreme angle.

IMG_1450.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG
IMG_1445.JPG
IMG_1448.JPG
IMG_1446.JPG
IMG_1449.JPG

jttheclockman

Thanks Ken That is what I kind have figured, That is why I suggested a router and then just use stops in the blank and you will have round corners. You could always cast them in different colors then. Nice Now you have to do an X and just reverse the angle. That is what is great about segmenting. Lots of possibilities. Thanks for showing and all great looking pens.

It is funny because I just bought a few more of those hold down clamps from Rockler. I included them in my order of the Cuban cigars pen kits that were just put on sale at 50% off. Someone alerted us to it and I took advantage.

KenB259

Thanks Ken That is what I kind have figured, That is why I suggested a router and then just use stops in the blank and you will have round corners. You could always cast them in different colors then. Nice Now you have to do an X and just reverse the angle. That is what is great about segmenting. Lots of possibilities. Thanks for showing and all great looking pens.

It is funny because I just bought a few more of those hold down clamps from Rockler. I included them in my order of the Cuban cigars pen kits that were just put on sale at 50% off. Someone alerted us to it and I took advantage.

I am finding one idea leads to many others. I ordered 10 Cuban kits too. I got them all rhodium played. Hard to turn down at that price.

Woodchipper

Sheer genius! Always something new here. Question- the three pens and two blanks, what is the blank, second from the right? They are all outstanding.

Grampy

The "old" aka 'ugly' pens looked good to me.. but apparently your standards are higher than mine, because the redo is excellent, thanks for showing the setup / jig.

Top Bottom