A Couple of Inlaid Boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

I've been wanting to try inlay for quite some time and am finding it quite fulfilling. Here are my first two attempts. The butterfly box was first and has a slight gap on the lower left wing :( The box is walnut and the veneer is dyed red, green and blue which I've used for segmented accents. The Nautical star box is also walnut with a maple top and zebrawood and an unknown veneer for the star. I've got four more to complete before Christmas. I haven't decided if I will coat the interior with flocking.

Butterfly Box.jpg
Nautical Star Box.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RGABEL

Boxes look nice. If you decide to flock I have stopped using the "flocking glue". I paint the wood the color of the flocking (or close) and then use Modge Podge as the "glue". Have had really good success with that method and is more economical. I like flocking as I do not need to worry about the sanding finish as much on the interior.

KenB259

Nice job.. I have done a few and they are fun to do, I have at least one as a pen box on my Etsy site. Sold one there too :)

jttheclockman

Nice work on the boxes. I always wanted to do a few boxes with the nautical star in them and even wanted to try incorporating one on a pen. just never got to it. I would flock them. It just steps up the quality that much more. I need to get back to making some intricate pen boxes and I have a couple nautical pen kits so that maybe the kick in the butt I need to do the nautical star on. Flocking is so easy to do and the various colors they have is great.

What method are you using to do the inlay work?

SteveJ

Nice work on the boxes. I always wanted to do a few boxes with the nautical star in them and even wanted to try incorporating one on a pen. just never got to it. I would flock them. It just steps up the quality that much more. I need to get back to making some intricate pen boxes and I have a couple nautical pen kits so that maybe the kick in the butt I need to do the nautical star on. Flocking is so easy to do and the various colors they have is great.

What method are you using to do the inlay work?
JT

You probably wont like the way I'm doing the inlay work! I use a laser cutter to cut the veneer. Then I glue the veneer to a piece of 3mm Baltic birch plywood and set that into grooves in the boxes. I don't have the patience or skill needed to cut the veneer by hand.

Top Bottom