A couple of burl bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

Both of these bowls are Eucalyptus Sp. The first Red one is an unknown species while the grey/cream one is commonly known as the "Grey Gum".
Both bowls are in the 8" to 10" x 2" range and are sanded to 400 grit and sprayed with Krylon Clear Varnish.
Hope you like them and thanks for looking.
C & C welcome.

Bob.:)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 212
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

4 B's - Beautilful Burl Bowls, Bob.
Exquisite Burls, Glorious Shapes and Finish.
Fantastic.
I like the straight edge on the first Red One, males it look a bit like a Clam Shell.
Congratulations,
Brian.

exoticwo

Bob, Very nice looking pieces. Love the resin pockets in the first one and the color spots poppoing through the bottom of the Gray is always cool to have on piece! Did you apply sanding sealer before spraying on the Krylon? The first piece looks like some of the Salmon Gum I've got sitting around.

robutacion

Looking at that first burl Bob, it resembles one of the burls I turned some time ago as a consignment job, and having a look at my pics (also on IAP) that looks to possibly be the "York" Gum Burl but, I may be wrong...!

Both pieces turn out with great shapes and finish, I hope they weren't as hard, as the ones I turned, was like cutting through cement...!:eek::redface:

I see that you are finishing a lot of your pieces, some I recall you mentioned to me about them but some, I don't recall but, they all look A1...!

Cheers
George

Bob Wemm

Bob, Very nice looking pieces. Love the resin pockets in the first one and the color spots poppoing through the bottom of the Gray is always cool to have on piece! Did you apply sanding sealer before spraying on the Krylon? The first piece looks like some of the Salmon Gum I've got sitting around.

It does look a bit like Salmon Gum Burl, but I just don't know for sure, so it stays as Sp.?
No, I didn't use sanding sealer, they are both as hard as steel so the finish went straight on. 3 coats, light sand and 1 final coat.

Bob Wemm

Looking at that first burl Bob, it resembles one of the burls I turned some time ago as a consignment job, and having a look at my pics (also on IAP) that looks to possibly be the "York" Gum Burl but, I may be wrong...!

Both pieces turn out with great shapes and finish, I hope they weren't as hard, as the ones I turned, was like cutting through cement...!:eek::redface:

I see that you are finishing a lot of your pieces, some I recall you mentioned to me about them but some, I don't recall but, they all look A1...!

Cheers
George

Yeah Mate, they were both as hard as hades, gave the carbide cutter some curry, that's for sure.

SDB777

The 'rattle can' finish is surprisingly awesome! But I'm guessing there is a 'trick to it'.....

Everyone has already said the normal adjectives for the piece above....I just say...."Thank You"

Scott (inspirationalized here) B

Bob Wemm

The 'rattle can' finish is surprisingly awesome! But I'm guessing there is a 'trick to it'.....

Everyone has already said the normal adjectives for the piece above....I just say...."Thank You"

Scott (inspirationalized here) B

Scott, if I can do it then anybody can, 3 coats, sand to 400 and one more coat.

Bob.

lyonsacc

I'm surprised there is a hunk of wood in your shop that you don't know the name of.

Great looking bowls.

How are you holding those things on your lathe? I don't see the usual recess on the bottom for the chuck.

Dave

Bob Wemm

I'm surprised there is a hunk of wood in your shop that you don't know the name of.

Great looking bowls.

How are you holding those things on your lathe? I don't see the usual recess on the bottom for the chuck.

Dave

Dave,
I use a rounded shape in the chuck that fits fairly snugly into the bowl recess, then hold the piece against that with the tail stock and turn as much off as possible and then remove from the lathe and cut the remaining stub off.

Bob.

turncrazy43

Bob, as usual your work is fantastic. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Top Bottom