A Couple of Bookworm Cigar Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drewby108

Drewby108

I had a couple leftover book micarta blanks from a personal project I've been working on, so I made a couple cigar pens for a local used bookstore.

Book was Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and the kits are EB's in antique brass and copper. I think the brass looks a little nicer with the material.

Side note: I do not enjoy making or turning this stuff. I'll stick with regular materials from now on lol.

Attachments

• 20220828_151425.jpg
    20220828_151425.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 20220828_151450.jpg
    20220828_151450.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 136
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
An appealing visual, and I'll also vote for the Brass. I have heard this is not an easy material, but you did well. Thanks for sharing.

Drewby108

These are really nice looking and something you don't see everywhere.
I have three rollerballs that I am doing for my favorite authors with the first book of theirs that I read. I will send them when I finish the last one I have.

Kind of a "your old work providing a new way to give life to your new writing."

Last edited:

Drewby108

These are really cool! Is that cast the same as other materials would be?
I don't know, because I haven't really cast anything else (properly) before.

I painted the epoxy onto every other page, then stacked a pile of hard cover books on top to apply pressure for a day. I had some layer separation issues on earlier blanks that were every two or three pages, but every other page seemed to soak through enough while saving me some work.

Probably still should have done more and maybe something to thin the epoxy down so it painted and soaked easier. I just did the last book today, so I'll cut that up next weekend and see how it goes.

Also, these still needed a CA finish.

Top Bottom