A couple more blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

A dodgy knee has restricted my workshop time, but I was able to put in a few hours this week
I wanted to try to incorporate an oval shape into a pen so I've shown my first couple of attempts.
I'm sure those of you with a better brain than me could work out an easier way, as I found it not so easy. IMG_2280.jpgIMG_2279.jpgSome other blanks are just a bit of noodling.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Valleyboy

I'm assuming it's an old rugby injury of course…

Lovely work as always Alan. Alas I can offer no insight into how to achieve the shape, but I really do like the one on the right in the first picture.
Cheers
Ash

jrista

Love your blanks, Alan! Exceptional work! Despite the knee! I have had extremely limited shop time for most of this year...but, your posts inspire me to give segmenting a try when I'm really able to get back into it.

howsitwork

Alan

lovely ideas. For some reason I'm drawn to the second from the right in the " gang of 5 " photo. How and what woods are they please ?

regards Ian

Alan Morrison

I'm assuming it's an old rugby injury of course…

Lovely work as always Alan. Alas I can offer no insight into how to achieve the shape, but I really do like the one on the right in the first picture.
Cheers
Ash
My rugby career ended too long ago to be blamed for my bad knee. Doctor says Osteoarthritis.

Hopefully when I post next I will include photographs of the process of making a pen similar to the one that you picked out.

Slainte.
Alan

Alan Morrison

Love your blanks, Alan! Exceptional work! Despite the knee! I have had extremely limited shop time for most of this year...but, your posts inspire me to give segmenting a try when I'm really able to get back into it.
Jon, give segmenting a go, I would love to see what you come up with.
It's a great way to keep the pen making interest up and a useful way of using up all those wee off-cuts.

Alan

Alan Morrison

lovely ideas. For some reason I'm drawn to the second from the right in the " gang of 5 " photo. How and what woods are they please ?
Thanks, Ian. The timber in the blanks 2nd from right in the bottom photo and the one on extreme right in the top photo is Ebony. The brighter looking veneer is Sycamore and the other is Maple.
I am hoping to post some photographs of the construction when I next make one. I should get it finished next week.

Alan

jrista

Jon, give segmenting a go, I would love to see what you come up with.
It's a great way to keep the pen making interest up and a useful way of using up all those wee off-cuts.

Alan
No question I will! ;) I have a customer order to fulfill. He ordered a while back, then the great maw of hell opened up beneath me this year, nearly consumed me whole, and I've been trying to claw my way out since. I'm just about to the top of the cliff here, and I am hoping to be back to turning regularly within a couple of weeks.

I actually have done some really basic segmenting. Just flat segments, maybe at a 45 degree angle, and maybe with some layers of metal...but nothing quite like yours. I'm really interested in the kind of detail and designs you have in your blanks here, though, and will be exploring that more as well.

Top Bottom