A coupe slimline edc duraclick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ridgewoodworks

Wasn't sure how I felt about these to start with. They're okay just requested by coworkers so I made them.
2021_0502_20165500-01.jpeg
2021_0502_20165800-01.jpeg
2021_0502_20170100-01.jpeg
2021_0502_20170400-01.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

There's just something I don't care for, nothing to do with your work, fit and finish is perfect. I think there is just to much protruding past the clip, that makes it not aesthetically pleasing to my eye. I just got some of the new slimline pro edc ones, but haven't made one yet.

howsitwork

Ken got to disagree with you on this one. I've not made it but the lines flow well and it looks good. Again pure opinion but I think the extra length adds visual impact in this case.

No offence intended to anyone , just my view

howsitwork

Which kit is this as when I look for edc slim line clic I get a totally different looking kit??? Has a much shorter top section above the clip. Any links pleare?

magpens

Which kit is this as when I look for edc slim line clic I get a totally different looking kit??? Has a much shorter top section above the clip. Any links pleare?

@howsitwork

Here is a link to what I see ..... https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKDUSLIMCH.html

Now .....

Can you give us a link to what you see, please, Ian ! .

I have a feeling you are indeed looking at the right thing but the "display" pen on PSI site is shaped differently.

If you look at the instruction sheet you will probably see a shape which is like the pen's shape in the OP for this thread.

But please give us a link .... I would like to check out what you are seeing.

howsitwork

Mal

this is what I see

Different top shape entirely. Maybe if I use edc as well? Nope still just the standard type that I bought last trip,to USA.

Ah that link shows the one I wanted. Thanks Mal.

Now just need to either bulk up an order or find out who's going to USA later in year. Sometimes the Atlantic can be a bit of a challenge ...

KenB259

Mal

this is what I see

Different top shape entirely. Maybe if I use edc as well? Nope still just the standard type that I bought last trip,to USA.

Ah that link shows the one I wanted. Thanks Mal.

Now just need to either bulk up an order or find out who's going to USA later in year. Sometimes the Atlantic can be a bit of a challenge ...
Those are the pro ones, like the ones I just bought, but haven't made any.

magpens

@howsitwork

Ian, you were looking at the wrong pen kit ..... Use the link that I sent you for the Duraclick Slim EDC

Here it is again ..... https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKDUSLIMCH.html

Things are starting to get confusing in the world of pen kits !!!! . The least "they" could do would be to use some ORIGINAL names !!!! . LOL !

But BEWARE ..... the clip has an unusual shape to try to mask the long protrusion of metal out the top end of the pen.
Also, the picture shows the pen in the "refill extended" position.
When the refill is retracted, the protrusion of metal out the top end is even longer by about 0.150" longer, or more.
I do not like this design at all for the Duraclick Slim.
Also, pay close attention to the internal structure ..... it uses a CROSS REFILL which I do not like either.

Last edited:

KenB259

@howsitwork

Ian, you were looking at the wrong pen kit ..... Use the link that I sent you for the Duraclick Slim EDC

Things are starting to get confusing in the world of pen kits !!!! . The least "they" could do would be to use some ORIGINAL names !!!! . LOL !

But BEWARE ..... the clip has an unusual shape to try to mask the long protrusion of metal out the top end of the pen.
When the refill is retracted, the protrusion of metal out the top end is even longer by about 0.150" longer, or more.
Also, pay close attention to the internal structure ..... it uses a CROSS REFILL which I do not like either.
LOL starting to get confusing??

howsitwork

It's like in the Monty Python and the life of Brian , the people's front of judaea vs the judean people's front bit LOL

One would have hoped they could at least invest a decent name for them when the change style / design like that 🤷‍♂️

There's just something I don't care for, nothing to do with your work, fit and finish is perfect. I think there is just to much protruding past the clip, that makes it not aesthetically pleasing to my eye. I just got some of the new slimline pro edc ones, but haven't made one yet.
Yeah I wasn't sure about them either. These were purely by request and colors chosen by the person getting the pen. However as I've done another tonight it was a great color combo still something just feels off since the top part is much shorter than the bottom half. They paid for them so I'm not gonna tell them about my personal preference.

@howsitwork

Glad people enjoyed this post so much just didn't have time through the day to check the site. And thanks for leading people to the desired style on Penn State if they wanted it.

You know I think all the things you listed are why I dont like this kit however some of the color combos and length of the pen amd how slender it is is starting to appeal to me. I wish it could have had the Parker style refills but seeing as the people wanted a slimmer pen I was unable to find another click pen that fit what I wanted. If you know pf a place with more click pen kits let me know. Thank you!

magpens

@Ridgewoodworks

Thanks for your posts and for starting this thread. . I believe there is still lots to say about these pen kits, and perhaps there will be some further stimulus to do so. . Unfortunately, I do not "know of a place with more click pen kits" (to quote you) at the present time

I think that pen kit developments have been headed in this direction for at least a couple of years.
The adoption of the Schmidt SKM-88 click mech. has been a significant "spark".
I believe that the SKM-88 has been around for quite a number of years but only recently came to the attention of pen kit designers/makers.

One hope of mine has been a 7mm click pen with Parker refill . . The 8mm has been achieved ( witness the evolution of Slimline PRO )
And I think the 7mm probably has been done ... at least up to a point ... by the makers of custom pens.

To do the 7mm, the SKM-88 might need to be modified ( reduced in diam. ). . Or one could use the SKM-192 which is already smaller but requires a slightly different approach.

I don't see myself getting to try this in the near future. . But it is still worth talking about and I'd be happy to be engaged.
A considerable amount of the groundwork has already been done.
I do not know if the incentives are there for the "big boys" to do it commercially with a new pen kit as the outcome.

I have interest in keeping this subject alive. . But ... LOL !! ... I don't "get" the connection to Monty Python ... because I missed some "culture" !!

This is the kit I just picked up today (the showroom finally opened!)

8mm, so slightly bigger than the Slimline. I haven't had a chance to crack them open yet as I kinda bought more than I had planned..isn't that always the case? lol I need to inventory, sort, and organize before i start. The new lathe needs to get some work in haha

magpens

@HwlngMdMurdoch

I think you will like making those pens, Rik. .
The DuraClick EDC is one of the first kits to use the Schmidt SKM-88 click mechanism ... perhaps the first such kit.
A lot of IAP members have commented favorably on this particular pen kit.

@HwlngMdMurdoch

The DuraClick EDC is one of the first kits to use the Schmidt SKM-88 click mechanism ... perhaps the first such kit.

Looking forward to it, I just got to figure out the material I want to use, Ive got a couple of different acrylic(2 of which are Mother of Pearls), and of course wood, leaning towards at least one Purpleheart. Ah the joys of having too many options lol

KenB259

@HwlngMdMurdoch

I just hate that refill extender with this kit. It's why I won't sell them.

magpens

I just hate that refill extender with this kit. It's why I won't sell them.

That's a good point, Ken. .
I was forgetting that because I replace the white plastic extender with a short brass rod glued on to SKM-88.

Top Bottom