A Cortona Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

Here is a Cortona kit with a green Italian blank called Pine. Thanks for looking.
cortona side 2.JPG
cortona side 1.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Hard to beat a bit of the green!!!

John, I admire, not just your pens, but your photography.
What camera do you use and any chance of a photograph showing your set-up???

alan

jttheclockman

alan
Alan you would be surprised how unprofessional my setup is and quick and dirty it is. I will try to take a snap shot of it in the day or two. Have it still set up for those latest pens. Then I need to take down to get the shop back. Don't laugh to hard.:)

jttheclockman

alan
Alan here is my quick and dirty setup where I take all photos. I sometimes use cloth, sometimes use gradient paper as backdrop and sometimes just plain white cardboard. Nothing fancy. Here I drape a white cloth over a board that is set up on my tablesaw. There is an overhead fluorescent light but I choose to use the 2 clip lights shown. I set camera on timer and then just hold the lights facing the pen with my hands. Sometimes I will clip to the tools stationed there. But not much any more. The camera is an old Pentax Optio MX4. Has all the bells and whistles but is only a 4 megapixel and the smart cards are very small for quantity. But it has served me well for many years. I bought from QVC quite some time ago. I do not play with all the settings on it. Just point and shoot. Post in a photo site and use a couple setting changes and then file and save and then post here. As I said I never take photos of everything I make but ones that I want to save for myself over the years. I use to shoot in a light tent but stopped that years ago. It basically is a matter of enough light and for what I do just fine. Don't mind the messy shop. I fired the maid years ago. :)

By the way if interested, the lathe in background is my 1014 Jet which is the first lathe I bought some 15+ years ago from Craft Supply at a woodworking show. Still going strong and have not done a thing with it. I do have a 1220 in case this one decides to give up the ghost. You see the 2 tools under it that I make all my pens with. The red handle is my round head carbide and the light colored handle one is my 1/2" skew. I will turn any and all pens with them. That is my second skew over those years. In the chucks is my setup for MM and polishing the pens. As you can tell the latest pens I am showing were the last ones that came off that lathe. There is a backup in the que right now with a few that need to visit that lathe. But in due time. Just thought I would throw it out there. Not much of a neat freak but I get the job done.

shop picture setup #2.JPG
shop picture setup #1.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom