A collaboration

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

A few months ago I called Mark James with an idea. He had been making ring blanks with segmented wood. I told him to make me a few but leave the grooves empty, as I wanted to try and cast resin into it. We tried a few things, but could never get full coverage. So Saturday, I had a crazy plan. With a little calculation, i made a jig to cast them in, and achieved full coverage. So every groove is full of resin. I turned it round so I could mount it in my chuck. That way i could drill dead center. I drilled this for a sierra. The blank is painted and I'll glue the tube in the morning. Hopefully i'll have a completed pen by Tuesday. I'm leaving to visit Mark on Thursday. May have to finish it there.

Well, here's some pics. Step by Step. Mark did the dowels, i did the casting and turning. Comments accepted, good or bad.

Also, this is PR

I know it would be easier with pvc, but it was late and I had none. So I made my molds work

Attachments

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Looking nice Ernie.

I will be great to see it turned. I'm curious how the translucent cast will look and wonder if a darker (more solid) shade will be needed.

I can make these by the dozens, so an infinite variety is possible.

EBorraga

Looking nice Ernie.

I will be great to see it turned. I'm curious how the translucent cast will look and wonder if a darker (more solid) shade will be needed.

Well, I have a red, blue, and green blank ready to turn. I think I cast 15 of them yesterday

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Looking nice Ernie.

Well, I have a red, blue, and green blank ready to turn. I think I cast 15 of them yesterday
"I say there, I say there boy... I wondered where all my slotted blanks went!"

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

Attachments

Last edited:

D.Oliver

Dan, I only have 1 ready to turn. I'll turn it tonight after I pack. I'm headed to Mark's Thursday morning for the weekend. I have 4 other colors i'l glue up and turn while there. So hopefully 1 pic tonight and the rest Sunday once I get home!!
You're going to visit for the entire weekend.......Man that judge was hard on Mark!:laugh:

EBorraga

Dan, I only have 1 ready to turn. I'll turn it tonight after I pack. I'm headed to Mark's Thursday morning for the weekend. I have 4 other colors i'l glue up and turn while there. So hopefully 1 pic tonight and the rest Sunday once I get home!!
You're going to visit for the entire weekend.......Man that judge was hard on Mark!:laugh:

Me, Stonepecker, and Dalecamino!!! Plus a whole slew of Ohioan's! I here Jeff may even stop by :)

D.Oliver

Top Bottom