A challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

This is a pen I made a few weeks ago, as a response to a challenge from a friend. The challenge: make a fountain pen with a slip cap, rather than a screw on cap. This is what I came up with. It's is made from a light blue transparent acrylic, with silver trim and clip. It is threaded for a Pelikan m1000 nib unit, and fills via eyedropper, by unscrewing the nib. I used an o-ring to allow the cap to slide on the barrel securely, without scratching the barrel. The slip cap works quite well, and is secure with no wobble. This was more a proof of concept, and if I were doing it again I would change a couple things, primarily making a removable section, which would allow the pen to be used with a converter (although not with this particular nib), and experimenting with putting the o ring inside the cap rather than on the barrel. At any rate it was a fun project, and my friend is happy with it.
899B2606-2B80-4762-8CFF-E17CC9F9FFA0.jpeg
B673B853-0568-4CBF-A062-416908400965.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very beautiful !!

I like pens with transparent barrels ... polishing the inside surfaces must be tricky to get them so nice and uniformly smooth.

Is that a second o-ring that I see at the closed end of the barrel ?

MythicPens

How do you avoid the "crazing" marks or micro cracks that can appear within the walls of the acrylic? I've made several pens with acrylic and the marks can show up hours after polishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jalbert

How do you avoid the "crazing" marks or micro cracks that can appear within the walls of the acrylic? I've made several pens with acrylic and the marks can show up hours after polishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very slow drilling speeds and no skimping on lubricant

Top Bottom