A challenge of sorts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

I make pens for the troops each year with the Antelope Valley Woodturners Club. We manage to make fifty pens every year and get them to people in uniform serving our country.

My idea is to get some help from YOU to do something similar. Yes, I know you may have done this and may do it again this year, me too. That said, let's make 100-120 pens from IAP or at least some of us. I just bought 120 Nutmeg colored Spectraply pen blanks today to do this project. I live near Edwards Air Force base, Know a retired colonel from the Air Force, a flight surgeon nurse, a current pilot/instructor and a retired engineer who regularly goes to Edwards. They will make sure our pens get to the right people on the base.

The kits are an issue, but I can buy those too if you cannot or will not. I hope you will at least be willing to turn them and press them into finished pens. If you want to participate and know of a local base where you want the pens to go, that is fine too.

The idea could be as simple as you stepping up via email or a message to me. I'll send the blanks via a small flat rate box at least and if needed the kits. Slimline or Saturn or a similar pen style from CSUSA sounds great. The design is yours. If you want them to go to service people at Edwards, send them back. If you have a local base, you will be responsible for delivery. Please know for sure that any pens returned to me will be donated from all of IAP, not me.

Ideas, send me your thoughts.

Attachments

• F4050919-101E-4F9B-8F58-86EF0EB63B12.png
    F4050919-101E-4F9B-8F58-86EF0EB63B12.png
    401.7 KB · Views: 243

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Mark. I will pledge 20 finished pens. I suspect they will be done by the end of January, if not sooner. I will send them to you to donate as you wish, I have been watching for a pen charity to pair up with.

I also assist with the woodturners with visual impairments and do realize that the kits are an issue. But a little from a many folks does make a difference.

Be well, Mark

WarEagle90

Evening, Mark. I'll commit to 10 finished pens (I'll furnish kits). Pens will be returned to you for distribution. PM to follow with mailing address. Many thanks for organizing this wonderful contribution. We can never do enough to show our appreciation and gratitude for those that stand guard and protect our way of life.

1shootist

I'll pledge a minimun of 10 completed pens...more if time allows, when do I need to have them back to you ?
I can furnish kits & blanks myself and will offer to help you on more blanks if you need them.

Russ

mmayo

I'll pledge a minimun of 10 completed pens...more if time allows, when do I need to have them back to you ?
I can furnish kits & blanks myself and will offer to help you on more blanks if you need them.

Russ

Thanks.
Since all recipients have elected to send to me please do the same. There is a marine logistical depot close too. They need love too.

greenacres2

I'm in for at least 10. If my own blanks are okay, there's plenty of wood in the shop. (will stick with USA grown species and/or SpectraPly).
earl

Pollock29

I would be honored to do 10 pens, but my supply of product is depleted due to the holidays. If you are willing to send me, I will turn, assemble, and return to you.
Thanks for the opportunity. This is new to me, so let me know what to do next!

mmayo

Cool deal, 90 so far. I especially like the distribution throughout the US.

Especially thanks fo supplying stuff. I will buy kits and ship kits and blanks to anyone wishing them. If we get more than can be used at Edwards (doubtful) there is a Marine logistics depot out in the nearby desert at Barstow.

I sent a request for CSUSA to give us a good price for Streamline kits, we will see if they can.

Last edited:

mmayo

If and when you have pens send them to me for distribution to the two bases.

Mark Mayo
30340 Rollingoak Drive
Tehachapi CA 93561

I'll post photos on this site of what we produced before delivery.

Hey Mark. Put me down for 5 but I'll probably do more depending on when you need them sent by. I don't want to over commit and fall short. I'll also use my own blanks and kits. I'll just need to know when you want them and a mailing address. Thanks for doing this Mark, this is a very worthy cause and I'm sure will be well received.

mmayo

Folks, use what you wish. I will supply both kits and blanks to those who would like them. From the start, this is to help others and recognize their service. If you make them in a day, I'll take them. If you make them in a month, I'll take them. Edwards Air Force Base has 5,000 workers. I'm not sure how many are active military, but our efforts will be appreciated for sure. I'll will get the pens to the base and the service people.

mmayo

New thought, delivery should be in a tube rather than a plastic pen kit bag. I will get those from WoodTurningz.

mmayo

WoodTurningz has agreed to give us a special sale price on the tubes. I always like them, their service and like them even more now.

mmayo

I will pledge to make 20, but it will be after the holidays before I can do them, if you have extra kits that would be great.

I will place an order for kits tomorrow and also buy tubes for the pens pledged so far. I'm hoping CSUSA can be helpful, but I'll buy in any case.

I too know very well how stressful the holiday season is for pen turners since I am one. I'll send the kits to those asking for them when I get them. When I get your pens, photographs will be made and I'll arrange for delivery. This is NOT a pens for the holidays deal, just a tiny thanks for those who serve.

keithlong

Thank you for getting this going again. I participated in group of retired military men and women a few years back and we would meet one sunday each month and make pens for the troops. We done it for 3 years and then it just died out. The kits and wood was donated. I also would take 20 kits home each month and turn them in my shop and return the finished pens the next month.

mmayo

We have reached 135 in pledged pens for service people. Great effort. Do not feel left out, if you want to donate a pen or 10 send them to me and they will be delivered to the base.

I just ordered 50 kits for those wishing kits, they are CSUSA Apprentice Roadster pens just like a Saturn. I also ordered 150 - 3/4" clear plastic tubes at a discounted price courtesy of WoodTurningz. The blanks were ordered the other day and were in stock. When I get the kits and blanks, I'll ship to those requesting them.

If you want kits or blanks, please send an email to me (not PM) with your shipping address and full name.

mmayo

First arrivals are spectacular thanks to Earl McLain. He included honeycomb blanks and hybrid burl to spice it up. No doubt that Earl's pens will be cherished. You really have to hold the pens to appreciate them, great work.

Kits are here and the tubes are at the post office for pickup tomorrow. The blanks have yet to arrive.

Attachments

• B5896D2F-65B2-426E-8EFD-3C6189817FA2.jpeg
    B5896D2F-65B2-426E-8EFD-3C6189817FA2.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 212

greenacres2

Uh...Mark, i haven't finished a pen yet for this project--and when i do, they will pale in comparison to the array that someone else sent!! This explains your e-mail from earlier tonight when you mentioned "nice pens". Let's find out who really did these and give proper credit. They are an outstanding set of work!!
earl

mmayo

Charles Gabriel's pens just arrived, that brings us up to 30 finished. Thanks for you excellent and creative work.

My order from Cousineau was slated for delivery yesterday, but it is the holidays... I'll ship kits and some kind of wood soon in any case.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 64CB391F-27C8-4BEF-891D-A7A157435131.jpeg
    64CB391F-27C8-4BEF-891D-A7A157435131.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 170

Dieseldoc

First arrivals are spectacular thanks to Earl McLain. He included honeycomb blanks and hybrid burl to spice it up. No doubt that Earl's pens will be cherished. You really have to hold the pens to appreciate them, great work.

Kits are here and the tubes are at the post office for pickup tomorrow. The blanks have yet to arrive.
Just to make correction who pen's are shown, they are from Dieseldoc with pride for a great cause.

Dieseldoc

Charles Gabriel's pens just arrived, that brings us up to 30 finished. Thanks for you excellent and creative work.

My order from Cousineau was slated for delivery yesterday, but it is the holidays... I'll ship kits and some kind of wood soon in any case.

Thanks.
Not my pen's shown. Dieseldoc

Top Bottom