a box with a bite !!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

This is a case I put together this weekend with the idea of it being able to be used for several purposes. That way if you want to make and sell cases, you need only make one case and add several different inserts. Main idea was an attractive custom fitted case to hold my wife's LLama 380. Case is knotty Pine with several different router bits used to enhance the outside shape. Spalted Maple was inset into the top and bottom and sanded flush. Spalted Maple was also used for the jewelry tray and intarsia roses with Walnut leaves. Red felt liners were installed in bottom and trays. Photos show some of the ways case can be used. You could also install pen trays if needed. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCN0865 (800x648).jpg
    DSCN0865 (800x648).jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 279
  • DSCN0866 (761x800).jpg
    DSCN0866 (761x800).jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCN0867 (763x800).jpg
    DSCN0867 (763x800).jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 335
  • DSCN0868 (710x800).jpg
    DSCN0868 (710x800).jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCN0869 (713x800).jpg
    DSCN0869 (713x800).jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 166
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thepenfriend

Just my two cents...on the handgun insert I was thinking you might want to have another area to lift the gun out of the insert. It looks like the only method of getting the handgun out is to lift by the trigger... I would be afraid if someone left the safety off and you reached in to pull the handgun out that the trigger would accidentally be pressed. I realize gun safety and if you didn't store with the safety on then you really don't need a gun but I just thought I'd throw that out there. Don't get me wrong the boxes are beautifully crafted just wanted to give my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions... anyway, very nice job!!

plantman

Just my two cents...on the handgun insert I was thinking you might want to have another area to lift the gun out of the insert. It looks like the only method of getting the handgun out is to lift by the trigger... I would be afraid if someone left the safety off and you reached in to pull the handgun out that the trigger would accidentally be pressed. I realize gun safety and if you didn't store with the safety on then you really don't need a gun but I just thought I'd throw that out there. Don't get me wrong the boxes are beautifully crafted just wanted to give my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions... anyway, very nice job!!

Thank you for our concerns !!! There are several items built into the inserts to keep this from happening and another built into the gun. The inserts are 3/4 in Pine with the shape of the gun routed out all the way around. The gun sits about 1 1/2 inches high, allowing you a finger hold anywhere around the outside of the frame to pick it up. Also there is a key stop behind the hammer to keep it from moving. The gun itself has a second safety lever built into the butt. In order to fire you must have the safety off, and than the trigger can not be pulled until the crook of your thumb has applied enough pressure to the rear lever to disengage the second safety. You bring up a very good point though, because most guns do not have this feature !! We have young grandchildren that stay at the house quite often, so all my long guns are kept in a gun safe, and the hand guns are locked and kept at least seven feet or more off the floor and out of sight and reach. Also thank you for the kind words about my cases !! Jim S

PapaTim

Great concept and well executed.
An idea for the gun insert to work with other gun styles. You could rout a small thumb hole (more of a depression really) about 3/8 inch deep, in front of the trigger guard with a corresponding finger hole above the slide. The would give a specific place to lift the gun and would allow a better grip than the 1/2 inch protrusion provides by itself.

plantman

I like the creative behind this creation. My question is what is the medallion on the lid made of, it looks like ivory?

Sorry for the poor photos !! Camera problems that day. Center medallion on top of box is an intarsia rose cut and shaped out of a very white piece of spalted maple. Removable Gun inserts are made out of Bird's Eye Pine or Pitch Pine as it is also called. I finished the case with clear lacquer. Jim S

plantman

Great concept and well executed.
An idea for the gun insert to work with other gun styles. You could rout a small thumb hole (more of a depression really) about 3/8 inch deep, in front of the trigger guard with a corresponding finger hole above the slide. The would give a specific place to lift the gun and would allow a better grip than the 1/2 inch protrusion provides by itself.

Thank you Tim: The finger holes would be a very good idea, using a Forstner bit to make several flat bottomed holes in the inserts. I should have taken a better closeup photo of the inserts because they are routed out 1/2 inch all the way around the frame giving you a full inch of exposure on the gun to grab. I also left about a one inch opening in the upper left hand corner of the insert so one could lift the barrel without touching the trigger. Also square spacer peg that can be seen in upper inside left corner, plus others, keeps the top tray off of the finish of the gun. Jim S

Top Bottom