a bottle opener broke a bottle.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

Anyone have any problems with the PSI "heavy duty bottle opener" breaking the lip of the bottle?
Made 10 for a friend and he managed to break the lip of the beer bottle while opening one.
Just curious if others have had this problem or if the problem might be the bottle . . .

I've made 15 or 20 of these over the years and have never heard of a problem from them.

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timber Ripper

Check the extension that engages the underside of the bottle cap. It should barely catch on underside of the bottle cap. It should not engage the lip/rim of the bottle. If it does you may need to file it down some..
I had a bottle opener that was notorious for chipping off the lip that the cap would seal on. I filed off a good 1/16" and solve the problem.
It wasn't from PSI but looks the same.

Last edited:

monophoto

Could have been a cracked or weak bottle

That's likely to have been an issue.

Most of us ORGs (old retired guys) remember the days when beer and soda came in glass bottles that were designed to be reusable - they would be collected and returned to the bottler who would wash and sterilize them, and then refill them.

Today, glass bottles are designed for a single use followed by recycling. As a result, the glass is thinner and therefore more fragile. And there is a much higher chance of breakage.

About 20 years ago, I was given an assignment at work in which I was asked to visit every brewery in a country in South America to assess the design and performance of their electrical systems. I know, it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. But one thing I noticed was that in each of the breweries, there were a great many broken bottles under the bottling line - the thinner glass was just barely robust enough to withstand the handling involved in the bottling process, and quite a few didn't make it to the end of the line.

So it wouldn't surprise me to see a bottle break as it is being opened, especially if the person who is opening it does so in a careless way.

Could have been a cracked or weak bottle

That's likely to have been an issue.

Most of us ORGs (old retired guys) remember the days when beer and soda came in glass bottles that were designed to be reusable - they would be collected and returned to the bottler who would wash and sterilize them, and then refill them.

Today, glass bottles are designed for a single use followed by recycling. As a result, the glass is thinner and therefore more fragile. And there is a much higher chance of breakage.

About 20 years ago, I was given an assignment at work in which I was asked to visit every brewery in a country in South America to assess the design and performance of their electrical systems. I know, it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. But one thing I noticed was that in each of the breweries, there were a great many broken bottles under the bottling line - the thinner glass was just barely robust enough to withstand the handling involved in the bottling process, and quite a few didn't make it to the end of the line.

So it wouldn't surprise me to see a bottle break as it is being opened, especially if the person who is opening it does so in a careless way.

How many days did you spend in South America? If I had been assigned a task such as this I'm sure it would have been a very long trip indeed. You had a great job!

Top Bottom