A Blank Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

George883

I'm a new pen turner and was preparing several blanks this morning; all but one turned out great but this one, picture enclosed, looks like the CA bubbled for some reason? Any ideas on what might have happened.
fullsizeoutput_b65.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

That is one of the reasons we encourage painting the inside of the drilled blank to hide bubbles pulled in when inserting the tubes or reactions to accelerator etc.

The colour of paint will affect the look of a blank. What I suggest is to polish the end of a blank and then cut a thin slice off. Put it on different colours of paper, spray can tops, etc. to get an idea of how your pen barrel will look when you are done. The other good method is to paint a dowel with different bands of colour and slide it in the hole of the drilled blank. It is amazing how much a colour can change the look of a pen.

George883

Thanks Curly, I didn't paint the blank but I did use a sharpie on the tube. The other two blanks didn't have this problem.

George

randyrls

Differences in the chemistry of acrylics can cause that reaction. As Curly said, paint the inside of the tube. This is a photo of two identical blanks. The only difference was the color used to paint the inside of the hole.
George; I like that blank though..... Paint Blank with White? Pink??

George883

Thanks. What were the color paints used to paint the blank. Next blank I will definitely paint and might even start using epoxy instead of CA.

George

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Grab a refreshment, sit back and watch the two videos--a picture is worth
a whole bunch of words!!

What color to paint the blank

Effect of reverse painting a blank

George883

Thanks, great videos. This is just a great site. Now you got me want to experiment with different colors. Going to build a color stick first thing tomorrow morning.

randyrls

One was Baby Blue, the other was Hot Pink. Just spray rattle cans. It is a good idea to do this with ALL acrylic blanks. Many acrylics are not opaque and the brass tube will show thru when the pen is finished because the blank will be very thin.

PS; Ed's videos are spot on!

Thanks. What were the color paints used to paint the blank. Next blank I will definitely paint and might even start using epoxy instead of CA.

George

Top Bottom