A bit antsy after rotator cuff surgery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

I had left shoulder rotator cuff surgery on Oct. 14 and am just getting to feel like I can start to do some normal activities again.
I start physical therapy this coming Wednesday so at least I am on the way to recovery.
I have a good idea about what lies ahead since I had the same surgery on my right shoulder in November 2019. That was a worker's comp injury.

I don't want to push myself too hard too early so it heals properly. I am hoping to get to working on some pens and possibly some bowls in the next 4 weeks before going back to work.

Wearing this darn sling to immobilize my shoulder is the real drag right now. Trying to sleep with this on really stinks. The doctors insist I wear it as much as possible and when I sleep. Still trying to get a decent night's sleep. The pain meds they gave me don't do much besides make me severely constipated. Like I don't have enough discomfort already.

Just venting a bit is all.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Be patient… you'll get there. You'll be back. Wear that sling. I slept in a recliner so long I started enjoying it.

Bryguy

Been there, done that. Shoulder replacement surgery in June of this year. I just glued up my first pen since the surgery and plan on turning it today. Good luck with your recovery. Be religious about the PT, and have patience.

montmill

When you get up in years and realize there's more behind you than ahead it's hard to sit still. While it doesn't seem right to have more time consuming health issues at a time in your life when you don't have much time, it's a reality. The answer for me has been to find something I can do and I look forward to every day. Photography has taken it's place when I can't work in the shop. Getting outside and walking is also good. It's amazing the things you've walked by every day without seeing. There's a big world out there - enjoy it. (my Sunday morning sermon :))

sbwertz

I'm dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome in right hand. First trying splints and NSAIDS. If no luck, steroid injection into my wrist. Last option surgery. I am SOO right handed. My left hand doesn't know how to do anything but type!

I had rotator cuff PT last year, was able to avoid surgery. PT for six months, though, but it did the job.

jjjaworski

I'm dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome in right hand. First trying splints and NSAIDS. If no luck, steroid injection into my wrist. Last option surgery. I am SOO right handed. My left hand doesn't know how to do anything but type!

I had rotator cuff PT last year, was able to avoid surgery. PT for six months, though, but it did the job.
I went through 6 weeks of PT before they would authorize the MRI to find out just how big a tear I had. This all started in mid-April when I hurt myself. I start my PT tomorrow with the therapist I worked with on my right shoulder in 2019. At least I have confidence in him so it should work out fine.

mmayo

I turned with my right arm in the sling. I'm a moron with just my left arm. The worst was turning the tailstock with the left hand.

Be patient and do at least the minimum of PT they have probably prescribed. I asked for and received another 12 sessions from my surgeon/GP. Try it.

Attachments

• 83150665-4131-4E7A-8B4B-1D7572DF60C1.jpeg
    83150665-4131-4E7A-8B4B-1D7572DF60C1.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 59
Top Bottom