8mm Slimline Pro TBC Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbg230

I'm interested to see the difference with turning between centers so I just ordered a couple sets of TBC bushings. I can only find TBC adapters for 8mm kits though, but not specific TBC bushings themselves for the 8mm Slimline Pros. Has anybody come across these or knows of a resource? - Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You can get them made if they are not readily available for purchase. . . I would contact one of our members ... rherrell ... to ask if he will make.

As a matter of fact, you don't actually need TBC bushings ......

I have been turning with the TBC method for many years and nave never bought any TBC bushings at all.

The way I do it (and many others also) is to mount your blank directly (without any bushings) between 60-degree conical centers after the hole has been drilled in the blank. Be careful to not crank up the tailstock pressure so high that you could split the blank.
It is better and safer after the tube has been glued in, but that is not essential if you are careful.

You would probably already know .... the dead center is at your headstock end, and the live center at your tailstock end.

It is essential that you have an accurate pair of calipers with digital readout. . These can be bought for around $30 or so.

Before turning the blank, you measure the diameters of the hardware pieces from your kit with your calipers.
When you are turning you gradually reduce the blank diameter .... at the ends .... to match your hardware measurements, or SLIGHTLY bigger.
You measure frequently as you approach the desired diameter.
I like to turn down to a SLIGHTLY bigger diameter .... bigger by about 0.005" or 0.006" .... this allows for sanding.
I think it is better to have a SLIGHTLY bigger size ..... it looks a LOT BETTER than an undersize blank.

I have turned dozens of Slimline Pro blanks in this way.

jbg230

Excellent! Thank you for that. I'm already using calipers, measuring the hardware and not relying on the standard bushings I have. I guess I always thought I would crack the blank if I didn't use TBC bushings though when turning between centers, but I will defer to your experience. Much appreciated!

TBCbushings

I'm interested to see the difference with turning between centers so I just ordered a couple sets of TBC bushings. I can only find TBC adapters for 8mm kits though, but not specific TBC bushings themselves for the 8mm Slimline Pros. Has anybody come across these or knows of a resource? - Thanks
I know this is an old thread but did you find what you needed? I have made the slim pro sets before. I dont get on here much so best to email or text. Bsnikitas@cox.net or 7578488807
Brian
Tbcbushings.com

Top Bottom