80 yrs+ Cottonwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bev Polmanteer

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came from a tree that was growing beside a road near us when a windstorm took it down 2 years ago. An old farmer in the area said he used to play in it when he was little and he is 77 now. He said the tree was big back then. When it came down it was 63" around! A couple times kids had set fire to it and at least 3 times it has taken its toll on an automobile in the 20 years we've been here. I was lucky enough to have a friend cut some of it for me. Everyone in the area called the tree Shamu because it was so big. This pen is for the daughter of that old farmer, so she can remember it!

200622422463_shamu%20pen.jpg

2006224224637_shamu%20pen2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

guts

Bev.nice pen,i got some wood from my sis in Pa.spalted willow that i used to climb in when i was a few years younger and it made some nice looking pens,soon as i figure out the pic.posting stuff i'll show em(i'm only 59 now) sothe tree has been around for awhile,to bad most of it went up in smoke.

JimGo

I wish I had known Cottonwood was so pretty! My parents took down about a dozen of them a few years back, and I'd have been kept in wood for ages!

Very pretty pen Bev!

ilikewood

That is Cottonwood? Wow...it looks really neat. If I had to guess, I would have called it Sycamore. I'm going to have to go tell my neighbor his cottonwood tree looks sick and needs to be removed (by me).[8D]

DFM

I believe the center band is supposed to be tendoned onto the upper barrel. A recess is to be cut, usually iwth a parting tool, that matches the inside diameter of the cneter band. The remainder of the upper barrel is to be cut down to match the outter diameter of the center band. The center ban is then glued to the notched recess of the blank. The end result give you the appearance of a pen with the cap removed and posted to the top of the pen. This will eliminate the shapr edge you get with your center band. The pen kit you chose is very complimentary to the wood.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bev,

Thanks for posting this!! We have dozens of cottonwoods and every year they clog my airconditioner and Dawn screams about them. Now, I realize there IS something good that could be done with them!!!!

Hope mine will turn out (pun intended) half a good as the above!!![:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom