Wanted 7mm Carbide Drill Bit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolandranch

I am having trouble finding a 7mm carbide or carbide tipped drill bit. I have a big order that's due soon and wondered if anybody had a spare they could sell me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Last edited:

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. I buy all of my specialty drill bits from McMaster Carr. I have had very good luck with them and usually receive my order in 3 days or less.

They offer a lot of options including Carbide and Titanium-Nitride coated Carbide. Solid Carbide is not cheap! A 7mm will cost in the neighborhood of $40-$50, but a carbide tipped bit will run around $20 or less. This Link should take you to McMaster Carr's 7mm drill page.

Regards,
Dave

PS In my case I am not adept at sharpening drill bits nor do I have a sharpening machine or jig, so Carbide bits are my preference. Sometimes though I just buy inexpensive HSS bits and just switch them out when they start to get dull (especially for unique or low usage sizes).

For some materials I am a fan of bits that have parabolic spiral flutes, sometimes called Chip-Clearing bits. (The ones made for drilling Stainless Steel usually have an additional coating). Chip removal using parabolic flutes really helps prevent the risk of heat buildup caused by the flutes getting packed full while drilling. (Fisch and others even make parabolic bits that they label as "Pen Maker's Bits").

I am also a firm believer in specialized bits for drilling plastic and have acquired over time a comprehensive set that covers most pen drill sizes. The prices are not too bad until you get into the larger bit sizes. For example, a 7mm is just a little over $10. To me, the extra cost is worth it if it prevents me from blowing up a $10 Alumilite blank.

InkyMike

Industrial suppliers rather than pen making suppliers is the way to go. You might even have one in the city you live in.

An example of a mail order company. Unless you are drilling extreme materials I would order Cobalt bits.

One of your local suppliers.

In addition to those listed, http://drillsandcutters.com/ is another good source for online ordering of bits (they also have a good selection of single start taps and dies, too)

Rolandranch

Thanks all for the help. Ended up finishing the order with hss. Supertool is where I get my carbide bits usually, but they were on backorder this time around. Thanks again for the info and links.

Top Bottom