7 wood Citizen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Lynch

Dale Lynch

Here's my latest pen.It is a seven wood segmented closed end rollerball citizen.Can you guess all 7 woods?I made this one using my B&D comercial RAS with an 80 tooth Diablo hatb.Man does that blade cut clean,no sanding required.

C&C welcome.

Attachments

• DSCF2862.jpg
    DSCF2862.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 341
  • DSCF2864.jpg
    DSCF2864.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCF2863.jpg
    DSCF2863.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCF2865.jpg
    DSCF2865.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 203
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Looks like you have way too much time on your hands......maybe glue on your hands too! :biggrin:
Very nice job on the pen!

OZturner

Brilliant Pen, Dale.
Your Segmenting is Fantastic, Love your closed end.
Superb Fit and Finish.
It is incredible the lengths that some turners will go to avoid buying Timber for a project, just relying on scraps from around the Workshop.
Keep them scraps coming, love 'em.
Brian.

Dale Lynch

Looks like you have way too much time on your hands......maybe glue on your hands too! :biggrin:
Very nice job on the pen!
True, but at least I didn't glue myself to the blank this time.Thanks Charlie

Brilliant Pen, Dale.
Your Segmenting is Fantastic, Love your closed end.
Superb Fit and Finish.
It is incredible the lengths that some turners will go to avoid buying Timber for a project, just relying on scraps from around the Workshop.
Keep them scraps coming, love 'em.
Brian.
Not really avoiding buying timber,just trying to make it unique.Thanks Brian

Nice job! Do you have any photos of the glueups before you started turning?
I didn't photo the glue up this time,sorry.Thanks Ed

Very nice.
Thank you.

Dale Lynch

Well all right if no ones gonna guess I'll fess up.The woods I used.I started with a walnut and zebrawood sandwich 8"long.I cut it to lenght and used the off cut for the 45 degree scallops.Next I cut the blankand put in a purple heart and cocobollo sandwich and glued it back together.Next came the 30 drgree triple slash done one at a time of course using green and yellow dyed box elder.The intersecting slash was at 60 degrees using buckeye burl off center by accident.After that I used red heart and purple heart starting on opposite sides switching back and forth.I spiraled 45 degree cuts for one revolution of the blank.Not satisfied with it yet,I thought the cocobolo was too thick and need to be divided.So I split the difference and put in another piece of buckeye burl.So there you have it,one pen seven woods and a worn out imagination.

SDB777

If I had to guess....this wasn't overly fun to sand 'evenly'? The end grain, the long grain, glue joints...it must have been hard to keep the surface close to even?

But, I must say...it's hard to see if the surface(wood) is 'uneven'! You look as though you are very patience to get this done to this level of 'awesome'!!!! And close-ended too!!!!

Scott (keep them coming) B

Dale Lynch

If I had to guess....this wasn't overly fun to sand 'evenly'? The end grain, the long grain, glue joints...it must have been hard to keep the surface close to even?

But, I must say...it's hard to see if the surface(wood) is 'uneven'! You look as though you are very patience to get this done to this level of 'awesome'!!!! And close-ended too!!!!

Scott (keep them coming) B

A little trick I learned when sanding multi wood blanks is to use a sanding block diagonally.Keeps it from over sanding the softer woods.Trying to do it just by hand always leaves the blank lumpy.Had stop stop cutting about 50 thousandths out because of the different grains and hardness just so I had enough room to level it out with the block. Thanks Scott

Thanks Dale and Jen

Thanks Dan

Last edited:

Dale Lynch

A purple ribbon day.My wife likes to put my stuff in the county fair, even though I'm self concience about it she wants to show my stuff off. One for this pen and six others including two best in show honorable mentions.

Top Bottom