7 Mins Start to Finish...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I wouldn't say at its best. The only art to it was the engraving on the body. Everything else is mass production.

(The following is not specifically directed at Jason, just some thoughts I had in response to his post)

I look at it a bit differently.

Somebody designed the pen and all its elements. Somebody designed the material for the body. There is plenty of artistic content that went into the creation of what looks to me like a very nice pen. Even the creation of the code that controls all the machinery is a form of art.

What's largely missing is the traditional craftsmanship that typically goes into a hand made pen. That's not to say that using mass production machinery to produce something doesn't require craftsmanship. But it's a very different set of skills than is practiced by the majority of members of this forum (but then, so are most of the skills involved in making a 100% hand made pen).

I could understand those who hand fabricates all their own components and materials having a less than favorable view of mass produced items. But in my experience, most don't view mass production negatively.

I have a harder time understanding why those who assemble mass produced components and a purchased (often mass produced) blank into a pen would disparage mass production as displayed in the video. The vast majority of pens posted on this forum have a large amount of mass produced content in them. They are not hand made pens by any stretch of the imagination. They are hand assembled with a hand turned body, but not hand made any more than the pen in the video was hand made.

Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed,

I agree with your observations, but I take them a little farther!

The "marketing guy" in me watches that video and realizes they can produce hundreds, or thousands of pens that look EXACTLY alike (in profile). So, what makes one company's work worth a dollar and another company's pen worth $1000?

Certainly not the difference in cost of materials or labor.

Brand recognition??

Ed McDonnell

Hi Ed - As a non-marketing guy, here's my thoughts.

Customers associate brands with specific qualities and features. It's the value that a customer attributes to those qualities and features (not the brand) that makes one pen worth 1000 times another. Over time customers begin to automatically assume that a branded item will have the qualities / features that they have come to expect, making the brand worth something. But brands can be degraded easily.

But what are those qualities and features that make one pen worth 1000x?

Materials - precious metals (not so much resin :)) and gemstones will easily ramp up the price.

Methods - Carving, hot enamel, guillioche, creative casting (metals or resin) all add to the price. Some of these methods are not suitable for mass production, at least not at the same level of quality as by hand, and will add lots of value. For example I can use a CNC to carve an intricate low relief design on a pen body. But a CNC can't easily do undercuts and some other things that make a hand carved item really stand out.

Technology - Creative filling systems. New materials never used before. This sort of thing all adds value.

Artistry - The special creative spark that is hard to quantify. You can put 1000 people in 1000 shops equipped with every tool / machine known to man and a selection of raw materials. One or two will emerge with pens that most would acknowledge as incredible works of art. A few more will emerge with very nice pens. Most will be capable of emerging with something capable of writing....but they won't win any awards. A work of art that writes will be worth a lot more than something that just write.

So, I see a lot of reasons why one pen might sell for $1,000 and another for $1. What I can't fully explain is why some things (not just pens) sell for $1,000 when they really should be selling for way less. Brand / Status / Clever marketing might account for some of that, but I'm out of my depth here.

Ed

Mr Vic

Cool video, Thanks for haring Dawn...

I see two differences between what they do and we do.

1: They've increased the sustainability of precision repeatability.

2: Their spouses are probably not hollering in the door for them to quit making pens and take out the trash...

Last edited:
Top Bottom