57 years between projects

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

YOYOMAN

Some 57 years ago as a young boy I fashioned a baseball bat out of maple on my dad's old lathe. Since it was from a maple tree that had not been struck by lightning it broke into many pieces in my first at bat with it.

Fast forward 57 years. After reviewing many videos on the subject I find pen-turning to be fascinating. I like the idea that it doesn't take an enormous workplace, can go from raw material to finished product in a relatively short time, doesn't require compressors, spray guns, noxious solvents, etc. to produce beautiful finishes and the varied designs spark one's imagination.

So I look forward to gaining knowledge through your experiences and, perhaps, one day sharing some of my own.

Happy to be here, Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

richard_y6

Some 57 years ago as a young boy I fashioned a baseball bat out of maple on my dad's old lathe. Since it was from a maple tree that had not been struck by lightning it broke into many pieces in my first at bat with it.

Fast forward 57 years. After reviewing many videos on the subject I find pen-turning to be fascinating. I like the idea that it doesn't take an enormous workplace, can go from raw material to finished product in a relatively short time, doesn't require compressors, spray guns, noxious solvents, etc. to produce beautiful finishes and the varied designs spark one's imagination.

So I look forward to gaining knowledge through your experiences and, perhaps, one day sharing some of my own.

Happy to be here, Ed

Welcom to IAP , Ed.

JimB

Welcome Ed. I'm in western NY near Rochester. Just an FYI, once a year there's an event in Saratoga Springs called Totally Turning. I believe it takes place in March. I've never been able to make it but it is a large event for all things turning.

thewishman

Welcome! You noticed the reduced tool list, but you'll have to watch out for all of the new tools you will want to get. I hope your first pen fares better than the bat.:)

Dr_N

I'm sure you'll be a "natural" at pen turning.

Glad to hear you're returning to turning after so many years. It's a really great obsession...I mean hobby!

Woodchipper

Welcome to the forum and the world of penturning.
One grandson made a small bat about 12 inches long for his cousin, who plays pro baseball, to autograph. Left the grip natural and painted the barrel red. Turned out nice. You can find plans to make baseball bat pens here and other places.

leehljp

Member Liaison
. . . . I like the idea that it doesn't take an enormous workplace, can go from raw material to finished product in a relatively short time, doesn't require compressors, spray guns, noxious solvents, etc. to produce beautiful finishes and the varied designs spark one's imagination.
. . .

You better stay focused cause that can sure get out of control quick! :biggrin:

Welcome!

Top Bottom