50 years ago!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Wow how time flies. Thanks for serving. I hope you make a pen and use it to write down your memories of your service. I've been writing down every story I can remember or have heard over the years.

Looked at the calendar a while back and realized that today was a red-letter day. Fifty years ago, about noon, I was given my DD 214 and left Fort Jackson, SC! Time flies when you are having fun.
Time does fly doesn't it... you were going in about the time I was getting out... my separation date was August 13, 1964.... makes me a Vietnam Veteran by 8 days....

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looked at the calendar a while back and realized that today was a red-letter day. Fifty years ago, about noon, I was given my DD 214 and left Fort Jackson, SC! Time flies when you are having fun.
I beat you out by 9 months. Time sure didn't fly while we were serving. :( We may have been separated, but most of us are still serving. ;)

TonyL

Excuse the NYC'er in me. But all vets and their families are freakin' awesome. I spare you the Brooklyn and Bronx in me because this is a family friendly forum.

I wonder how much people realize that they can say and do whatever the heck (more editing LOL) they want of the backs and lives and worry of vets and their families.

My dad and I are not vets, but he taught me to appreciate and respect them all. And I do.

Woodchipper

My father served in the USAAF in the Pacific as a flight engineer on C-47s. We share the same- Wouldn't give a nickel for another minute or a million dollars for the experience. I look at photos of the Black Wall in Washington, DC and think my name could have been on it.

My father served in the USAAF in the Pacific as a flight engineer on C-47s. We share the same- Wouldn't give a nickel for another minute or a million dollars for the experience. I look at photos of the Black Wall in Washington, DC and think my name could have been on it.

I have two shipmates with their names etched on The Wall. I'll probably never see it because of the emotions behind it but my wife has encouraged me to at least try. They had a Traveling Wall in Great Falls a couple of years back that I tried to visit it. I got within about 50' of it and turned away. Some memories are good, but not all of them. And I'm finding as I get older it gets harder.

Jolly Red

50 years ago I had enlisted in the Navy and was waiting to go to boot camp at Great Lakes. Went up there in January and froze my patootie off. Thank you for your service.

dogcatcher

My 50th was back in June. There are 41 names on The Wall of the guys I served with in country. Another 60 are on The Wall that I served with while I was stateside.

ilikewood

My father flew weather recon out of Thailand in the B-66's (or whatever the code is for that version). He doesn't talk about it much, but I am proud to have him as my example of service to our country. Unfortunately, the military wouldn't take me, but my wife is a AF veteran, and we have two children who proudly serve in the Air Force.

Military service got me out of a traffic ticket back in '65.... I had been out almost a year and was coming back from my sisters to my apartment in Dallas... back then I tended to have a heavy foot and the city limits of Dallas are about 5 or 10 miles outside the actual city... I hit city limits and the speed limit dropped immediately to 50 mph... I ran past two speed limit signs and a city policeman picked me up... while in the navy my car was registered at my mother's address in Oklahoma... in Texas back then you had 30 days to re-register a vehicle after moving to Texas. First thing the office asked was why I had Oklahoma plates and a Texas driver's license... I lied and said I had just got out of the navy... he sent me on my way with an admonishment to slow down and to get new license plates.

Military service got me out of a traffic ticket back in '65.... I had been out almost a year and was coming back from my sisters to my apartment in... back then I tended to have a heavy foot and the city limits of Dallas are about 5 or 10 miles outside the actual city... I hit city limits and the speed limit dropped immediately to 50 mph... I ran past two speed limit signs and a city policeman picked me up... while in the navy my car was registered at my mother's address in Oklahoma... in Texas back then you had 30 days to re-register a vehicle after moving to Texas. First thing the office asked was why I had Oklahoma plates and a Texas driver's license... I lied and said I had just got out of the navy... he sent me on my way with an admonishment to slow down and to get new license plates.

Me too, and it was just a couple of years ago. My wife and I were headed to CA to visit her parents. We travel through Idaho and at the border between Idaho and Nevada there's a speed trap in a town called Jackpot. You go from 70 to 25 in what seems to be about 15 feet, you really have to stand on the brakes. So the patrolman pulls me over and walks up to my window and asks the usual question, "Do you know how fast you were going"? I say, "Yes" ( I was going maybe 35 in a 25mph zone). So he gets his ticket book out walks to the back of the Jeep, opens his book and pulls out his pen to write the ticket. Then I see him stop, put the book in his back pocket and the pen back into his shirt pocket, walks back to my window and tells me "Do me a favor and slow down, son". Now this patrolman is probably in his mid 30's, I'm in my mid 60's and he calls me son. I told him thank you and we left. Then it dawned on me why I didn't get the ticket. My license plate says "Veterean United States Navy". My wife did tease me about being called "son" but I didn't get a ticket.

ilikewood

Me too, and it was just a couple of years ago. My wife and I were headed to CA to visit her parents. We travel through Idaho and at the border between Idaho and Nevada there's a speed trap in a town called Jackpot. You go from 70 to 25 in what seems to be about 15 feet, you really have to stand on the brakes. So the patrolman pulls me over and walks up to my window and asks the usual question, "Do you know how fast you were going"? I say, "Yes" ( I was going maybe 35 in a 25mph zone). So he gets his ticket book out walks to the back of the Jeep, opens his book and pulls out his pen to write the ticket. Then I see him stop, put the book in his back pocket and the pen back into his shirt pocket, walks back to my window and tells me "Do me a favor and slow down, son". Now this patrolman is probably in his mid 30's, I'm in my mid 60's and he calls me son. I told him thank you and we left. Then it dawned on me why I didn't get the ticket. My license plate says "Veterean United States Navy". My wife did tease me about being called "son" but I didn't get a ticket.
Geez, next time you drive right by my house in Twin Falls, at least stop and say hi to a fellow penturner. LOL

Woodchipper

A traffic ticket that wasn't on my records only delayed Uncle Sam by 30 days. Two weeks after they sent me home, I got a letter saying that I shouldn't have been sent home. FUBAR!

Top Bottom