5 Gal Walnut Jar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

After two days of hard work------I am done with the turning part.
This 5 gallon Walnut jar will not hold water----that was the point. I was cleaning up my walnut last week cutting up a bunch of pen blanks and this monster blank just keep calling my name---ok maybe I am hearing things. Anyway this is what it looks like still mounted on the lathe. I am doing a hand rubbed oil finish and it just works better for me like this.
To the folks that called today---I wasn't being rude I trying to get this done.
Oh --in one of the pics you can see the end of a headboard that I just got done with-----so I am keeping busy.

20073240857_walbowl.jpg

20073240101_walbowl2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johncrane

Awesome work Gary! thats one heavy duty Jar' my grand kids and me too, would love a lolly jar that big" have you got a plan for its use. Wait l can see a giant tea pot there too! the knot on the bottom would be a great spot for the spout [:0][;)][:p][:D]

Rifleman1776

Very neat. End grain hollowing can be very difficult. And a hunk that big that doesn't have cracks, or didn't crack during turning is pretty unusual. What kind of hollowing tools do you use? Nice job. Get a good price for it.

Gary Max

Frank I spent 6 months and way to much money designing my own lathe tools for the big stuff. The reason it cost so dang much is I have to send everything out to a machinest. Plus the fact that my first three designs did not work right---they looked good but that's about it.
The cracking part really comes into play at this point, It must dry very slow and even or it will bust. There is a check on the back side caused by drying I repaired it with CA. You still can see it but I liked this block enough that I did not care. Not everything in nature comes out perfect.
Tom we are doing the Lebanon Home and Garden show the weekend of the 31st and first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom