5:00 somewhere stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

I had some old watches laying around so I thought I would try to put them to some good use. They are (were) both Timex's one was a wind-up (gold one) and one was a quartz (silver one). I am pleased with how they turned out, but I still have some air bubbles that I have to work on. I stopped at a yard sale and bought 6 watches for $18.00, got them home and changed the battery's on them and they all work just fine. One of them is a "GOOFY" watch that runs backwards, :confused: I am told that it is worth some money. :biggrin: So now I have to look for some more before I do any more casting.
Any comments welcome, Thanks for looking. :)

Attachments

• stopper 1.jpg
    stopper 1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 437
  • Stopper 1b.jpg
    Stopper 1b.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 526
  • stopper2.jpg
    stopper2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 384
  • stopper 2b.jpg
    stopper 2b.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 424
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

How do you thread for the stopper bolt??? Just an FYI there are nut certs out there in brass so when you see through the stopper all you will see is brass instead of the treads.

Lin.

PaulDoug

I really like the idea. I'm wondering if you could cast in layers, say the bottom third with a dark color to cover the threads and then the clear. You are on to something here. Keep at it.

woodgraver

I really like the idea. I'm wondering if you could cast in layers, say the bottom third with a dark color to cover the threads and then the clear. You are on to something here. Keep at it.

That is how I do the ones that I make with military insignia in them...color on the bottom and clear on the top. I heated the PR to get rid of bubbles, but wasn't casting anything as difficult as watch parts.

MartinPens

PaulDoug said:

Ditto.
I have been wondering about this myself. I think casting little items in a wine stopper is a great idea. How to do it without air bubbles is the trick!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Martin G

I like your stoppers. I'm no expert (never done casting) but might an ultrasonic cleaner vibrate the bubbles out?

Nice snag on the Goofy watch. Is he in a baseball uniform or his regular clothes? I love clocks that run backwards!

navycop

I past this thread over a couples and glad I finally read it. I like the way the watch parts are "suspended" in time. Looks alot different than a watch pen.

ctubbs

Just from other threads here, but do you use pressure when casting. The pros insist that that will shrink the ever present bubbles to insignificance.

This is a great idea and wonderful completion of your project. You are onto something really good, keep at it.
Charles

randyrls

It's Happy Hour!!!!

PS. Ed Davidson Aka YoYoSpin made bottle stoppers with a colored base a porcelain rose and clear acrylic top. I don't believe he does this any longer.

Last edited:

mrcook4570

Two types of customers pick these up at shows. Customer #1 will have a puzzled look on their face and ask how to change the batteries. Customer #2 will look at it and immediately get a big smile on their face (they made the connection).

maxman400

Just from other threads here, but do you use pressure when casting. The pros insist that that will shrink the ever present bubbles to insignificance.

This is a great idea and wonderful completion of your project. You are onto something really good, keep at it.
Charles
I do use pressure when casting these, the problem I seem to be running in to is this: The parts are attached to a clear pen blank sized piece of PR. I use a small paint brush to coat every thing with a small amount of raw PR, so that there is no bear metal surfaces to hold air. This in it's self reduced a ton of air pockets, but after I cast and remove them from the pot I find air pockets that run from the bottom upward in a small thin lines between the older PR and the New PR. :confused:

Top Bottom