4th Apple Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

This is the last decent sized bowl that I will get from my aggressive pruning of my parent's apple trees. This one cracked a little but I think it is Ok since the crack works with the natural edge. My goal is to get 8 pieces for my parent's 8 grandchildren. I have some smaller pieces that I will make into hollow forms or boxes. Turned this one with a tenon so I shaped the bottom a little differently.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful bowl Cody! The current split/inclusions look wonderful in my opinion - They add to it's character (I prefer my pens with inclusions not filled in - JMO).

And, I would be surprised if more cracks are not evident in 6-12 months; but again, that is what this stuff does, and that is not bad! It's wood, not plastic.

FWIT: One pen in the IAP Collection opens and closes depending on temp and humidity! (Not a distraction in any regard!). Why expect a material to act differently than it is naturally supposed to?

...Start signing them with a date; and possibly a short story card! It will be meaningful in the future. :wink:

I'm up to my eyebrows in segmenting, but I have 8 green turned bowls from 2 years ago waiting for final turning. This summer!!!

Old Codger

Awesome bowl! I especially like the color and grain...very, very nice bowl and I'm sure you or the person receiving your gift will love it! Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you!

Loucurr

Nice bowl....my daughter just called me today and told me she is going to be sending me down some applewood from Vermont. Can't wait to see it and plan some projects.

Cwalker935

You had to bend the wood some how. Heat, water, press? sheesh, it is above me.

No magic, you simply use the contour of the log as the rim of the bowl. Turning at higher speeds helps so that the tool stays in contact with the wood more frequently. This piece was turned from a piece of crotch wood and had a small limb stub that I managed to turn the rim to so it has som additional contours.

edicehouse

This is the last decent sized bowl that I will get from my aggressive pruning of my parent's apple trees. This one cracked a little but I think it is Ok since the crack works with the natural edge. My goal is to get 8 pieces for my parent's 8 grandchildren. I have some smaller pieces that I will make into hollow forms or boxes. Turned this one with a tenon so I shaped the bottom a little differently.

View attachment 146625

Now this might be a little awkward thing to ask, but would you consider adopting me, so your parents have 9 grandchildren?

Wow that is a beautiful bowl, the only concern is it will not end up on a mantle as a piece of art that it is!

Top Bottom