#47 - another Duraclick EDC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Painfullyslow

Painfullyslow

Continuing with my custom order, Duraclick EDC pencil. Finish is CA > Micromesh > Zona paper > Novus 3,2,1

DC-MR-1.jpg

DC-MR-3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Painfullyslow

Nice job! Cool blank! Where did it come from?
I made it. The white is alternate ivory, the top is a piece of wenge that I had laying around and I segmented it with a 1mm thick piece of black ABS plastic sheet. The drips are hand painted using a UV cured black gel paint, commonly found in the womens nail art industry. Once cured I coated the entire thing with CA and polished.

sorcerertd

I made it. The white is alternate ivory, the top is a piece of wenge that I had laying around and I segmented it with a 1mm thick piece of black ABS plastic sheet. The drips are hand painted using a UV cured black gel paint, commonly found in the womens nail art industry. Once cured I coated the entire thing with CA and polished.
I was wondering about that blank, too, thinking the "drips" were part of it. I take it it took quite a few layers of CA to build up and even out with the raised paint.

Painfullyslow

I was wondering about that blank, too, thinking the "drips" were part of it. I take it it took quite a few layers of CA to build up and even out with the raised paint.
Not really. The gel paint is highly pigmented so it covers extremely well, a thin layer is all that is needed. The best part about using this stuff is that if you make it too thick you can just wipe it off and start over. There was definitely a raised area from the paint but not as much as you may think.

I did 2 coats of thin CA followed by 4 medium which is my standard CA application and it came out glass smooth.

Wonderful combination of a variety of materials and techniques. Very inspiring!

Out of curiosity, what did you use for your UV source?
I have a 3d resin printer which cures using UV light so I have a regular UV lamp and turntable already but since my wife does nail art as a hobby she had a curing station that was frankly more convenient. This is what they use to cure fingernail art. It has an auto timer and turns on whenever you put something in it so very easy.

1655211518509.png

Top Bottom