#45 and #46 - first clockwork/watch blank and more

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Painfullyslow

Painfullyslow

Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2022
Messages
378
Location
Connecticut
This continues the custom order request that I have. As with the previous part of this set, all are Duraclick EDC mechanical pencils.

#45 is a segmented amboyna burl with aluminum and Gabon ebony. The client wanted claw marks somewhere on the body so this is what I came up with. Finish is CA - micromesh > Zona paper down to 1 micron > Novus 3,2,1

DC-TW-1.jpg


DC-TW-2.jpg


#46 is my first attempt at making a watch parts blank. I used nylon sheathing over the brass tube since I still wanted some of the brass to show through, then went about bending all the tiny watch gears into shape and attaching them before casting the blank with Alumilite. All in all I am pretty happy with the way this came out, especially for my first go at it. I learned a bit and I feel that my next watch part blanks will be improved upon.

Finish is Micromesh > Zona paper down to 1 micron > Novus 3,2,1


DC-SR-4.jpg


DC-SR-1.jpg


DC-SR-3.jpg
 
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Painfullyslow

Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2022
Messages
378
Location
Connecticut
Love the claw marks. How did you do them.
Thanks! That is just a waterslide decal that I printed out and applied. You can do all sorts of cool effects with them. This is what I used.

This pen I masked off and airbrushed a red circle, then used a waterslide decal of the same size diameter to add the texture to make it look like a red moon. I suppose I could have just printed the entire thing on a decal but I was worried that it would not be completely opaque. This was my first time doing a waterslide so it is not perfect, the claws came out much better.

DC-LB-5.jpg
 

Painfullyslow

Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2022
Messages
378
Location
Connecticut
Outstanding pens, both of them.

I am inspired to give the watch parts a try, especially since I won the materials to cast them at the Midwest Penturner's Gathering in April.
I meant to post this earlier but didn't have a picture to go with it. Rather than shell out the $ for the jewelers dapping block to bend the gears into the appropriate shape I simply used a 1/4" piece of brass pipe cut in half, then threaded into a tee to use as a handle. I then found an appropriately sized 1/4" socket with the right O.D. and sandwiched the gears between them. The silver wheels/gears are steel and so I needed to use a pair of pliers to apply the pressure but they came out great.

20220612_122625.jpg
 

KMCloonan

Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2017
Messages
766
Location
Round Lake, Illinois
I meant to post this earlier but didn't have a picture to go with it. Rather than shell out the $ for the jewelers dapping block to bend the gears into the appropriate shape I simply used a 1/4" piece of brass pipe cut in half, then threaded into a tee to use as a handle. I then found an appropriately sized 1/4" socket with the right O.D. and sandwiched the gears between them. The silver wheels/gears are steel and so I needed to use a pair of pliers to apply the pressure but they came out great.

View attachment 336623
Great suggestion! Thanks for sharing. I had no idea how I was going to curl the parts.
 
Top Bottom