40th Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

I attended the 40th meeting of the Georgia Chapter. There were 13 members present. This was primarily a reorganizational meeting. Lee Carr has agreed to head things up. We discussed several things we thought would bring our attendance up. Programs, possible dues, communications, what new members would like to see, and just a good round robin of ideas. I think our chapter is going to climb out of the doldrums and be a viable group once again Tony gave a demo on turning a Cigarillo pen in nice bocote. He used eee polish, nice finish, but durn stuff taste terrible. Thanks to all who came and to those who didn't, we'll see you next time.

Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Ben, remember to add the meeting name on the bottom of your signature block.

turncrazy43

Four recent IAP members came to the meeting. It was nice to see some new blood. Hope this will increase and bring interest to the group. I believe we need to have demo's that would be of interest to the new members so that more will wish to attend and learn. It was great to see everyone again. Lets keep it up!
Turncrazy43

larryc

Don't know if this has been suggested but it might help if the meetings were monthly rather than quarterly. So long between meetings means greater forgetfulness.

Gary Beasley

A monthly meeting would mean the organizers would have to get up 12 programs in a year instead of four, then theres the availability of the room to consider. Might be doing a better job of advertising the meetings would be more practical. Talk it up to the general public and try to figure ways to draw them in.

BKelley

I was given the job of contacting as many members as possible one month before meetings and again one week before meeting. This should help jog our memories.

Ben

dogcatcher

A suggestion, take some pictures and create a small newsletter. It doesn't have to be much, a 2 page in pdf format is pretty easy. Email it to members a week before the meetings announcing the upcoming meeting and giving a pictorial report of the prior meeting.

Yes it takes a little work, but the pictures and a "show and tell" each month of what members have done in the past month fills up a 2 page newsletter pretty fast. I did one for an organization, it took about an hour. Once someone asked me how I came up with the stuff, I said I TYPE USING BIG LETTERS. Nobody ever noticed that some months the font was larger than others.

Lee Carr

Thanks everyone for a great "re-grouping" meeting.
I will follow up later this week with some meeting notes,
ideas, suggestions and strategies for moving forward
that came out of the meeting.

A major point was the need for more communication both
inside and outside of our IAP GA Chapter to gain more
awareness and ultimately to gain more members. One example
being more visibility in the two local WoodCrafts, as well
as other stores and to increase awareness of our group
at other organizations in the city and state; example being
the Gwinnett Wood Working Association.

Please leave your thoughts and suggestions as well.

Thanks,

Lee Carr

IAP Meeting

I am a new member and attended the meeting this past Saturday. I know that it was a meeting to discuss reorganizing, but I learned a lot just by talking to the guy's who were in attendance. Maybe holding meetings monthly or bimonthly would bolster attendance and participation, quarterly meeting seem so far apart. I live in Henry County and will be attending future meetings. Glad I attended.

Last edited:

BKelley

Michael,
Thanks for the input. Monthly or bi- monthly would be kinda hard because of our meeting place (WOODCRAFT) only has a slot for us quarterly, also trying to find programs that often would cause a problem. Do you have any suggestions as to a program that you would like to see. Welcome aboard and look forward to seeing you at our next meeting

Gary Beasley

Another way to have more meetings would be to create special interest groups (SIGs) for specific facets of penturning such as casting, segmentation, worthless wood items. These can be hosted at a volunteers home or other location at times between the quarterly meetings. One organization I was in even has an annual picnic for the group just for socializing. Upshot is we dont need to rely on Woodcraft availability if folks want to get together more often.

TonyL

Over two years ago..the new Rockler in Roslwell (not that I don't appreciate WC) was "dying" to host a meeting.

Top Bottom