40th meeting Sept.15th

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

URGENT, Georgia members please do your best to attend this meeting. This meeting will determine the future of the Georgia chapter. I hope to see you there.

Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Sorry I won't be able to attend. My daughter is cheering this year and have a game that
morning.

I am willing to help in some capacity. Either through scheduling, helping with prizes, demos etc. my time has been pretty limited lately but attendance for me hasn't been due to my lack of interest. Just a hectic schedule.

TonyL

Hi Folks:

The Chapter is attempting to rebuild. It needs critical mass - a large enough collection of members to where the attendance of 25% at any one time represents about 15 to 20 folks. There seems to be interest, and folks like Lee Carr and the like are eager to support/contribute to the welfare of the Chapter.

I think a 2-hour meeting and an "open lathe" PLUS some type of demo may make a good meeting (lunch, fellowship, afterwards is always nice). The Chapter comprises some wonderful folks who are keen to share their experience and enjoy the company of one another. And, of course, the Chapter owes much to Woodcraft for sharing its "valuable" space with us.

On the 15th, I (all else are free to turn) am going to turn some pens from 10-12. I am going to try this every quarter assuming my schedule allows. Perhap, as this is occuring, WC can direct its patrons to us and witness live (as opposed to dead :) ) pen turning.

Despite, working from home, my job and other commitments precludes me from the time to turn anything. At least, once a quarter, I may get that chance now - so my idea is somewhat selfish (but again, I would love to watch other folks turn).

I have also asked WC patrons while in the pen turning section if they ever heard of the IAP, penturners.org, etc. and no one has ever said, "yes". Perhaps, my ever so slight Brooklyn accent :), made it difficult to hear the question or they thought I was going to steal their wallet if they said, "yes". LOL.

Anyway, the survival of the group, or any group, will not depend on a few of the regulars showing-up. We all have competing priorities and then the unexpected, not-so-welcome-surprises that life throws our way It will depend on total number of members (think gym memberships - only about 15% of the members regularly go to the gym) size and provide the "right" incentives to attract 15 or more each quarter attend.

I will say this, the warm welcome and selfless advice that I have received from any and all from the Chapter and WC has been incredible (especially for someone who hails from the NYC). If the Big Guy in the Sky or whomever your Higher Power happens to be wants the Chapter to be, it will.

Ok, I must now do some food shopping. My lovely wife has a bad case of sciatica. If you want to watch something funny..watch me navigate a grocery store. I am clueless. After 55 years on this planet, I only learned a few days ago, that bananas are 55 cents a pound and where to find them. LOL.

Much peace and good health to all. If your schedule allows, I look forward to seeing you. Oh yeah, I will bring that disassembly tool. I have disassembled, without injury to myself or any pens, about 7 so far. It has already paid for itself. Therefore, I you want me or you want to give it a whirl, bring some of your partially finished pens. On my way to Kroger, the church. Take care.

Another idea, is to demo a different finish every quarter. Have a good one folks.

TonyL

To all:

No one needs to report their intentions. Nothing unfortunate about honoring your other commitments or just deciding to take a nap (like me right now :).

It is just as important to see how many we get with members who just have other things to do or rather than do something else. I consider the Chapter at its infancy stage. If I didn't want to turn some pens, it is likely that I would not attend unless there was something very compelling for me to learn or want to observe.

Mid morning nap time ZZZZZzzzzzzzz

TonyL

I will attend.
Turncrazy43

You are welcome to bring a pen two that you would like to turn; I don't have a monopoly on the lathe. :).

I will bring my HSS chisel and some carbide tools.

Top Bottom