4 Sided Radius EWT Negative Rake Scrapers - Life Span

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

CSUSA had these on sale with free shipping so I purchased a bunch of the (radius-and round) inserts. Assuming you are turning acrylics/mixed materials, how many barrels would you say you get out of each side or a point on a round insert?

I use my HSS gouge to to remove about 60 to 75%& of the material, then been playing around with the NR scrapers.

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

Tony, I have multiple EWT tools, as you; just for grins I recent added the EWT Easy Start Rougher with a Ci2R2 Negative Rake cutter. I am really disappointed in the negative rake - got only about 2 acrylic barrels per side. However my Ci0 round, Ci1 SQ, and my Ci1R2 go like gang busters, and I can turn multiple acrylic barrels before needing to turn or adjust the cutter edge. These are my go-to tools for acrylic and wood barrels.
Have you looked at CSUSA's video on sharpening these flat cutters? The flat cutters are very easy to re-sharpen using a diamond card. I have done my Ci0 twice now and it would appear that it can be re-sharpened any number of times more.

TonyL

Thank you both. I got my start on all their cutters, then switched to HSS and some higher-end carbide. I have also sharpened them with diamond and CBN stones - I can never get them to be the same as new (that is just me). The inserts last "forever" with wood. With the NRS I would say about the same 12 to 15 barrels is all I really get with non-woods. One I find myself pushing, I know it is time to change - at least in my book. They are convenient. With 4 sides, 48 to 60 barrels per insert isn't bad especially when considering the sharpening that I am not doing (which really on take a few seconds, but I don't like to stop and sharpen in the middle of turning). Given that I turn the majority of the marerial off with a HSS gouge, I thought I would do better...but I like things sharp. Thank you!

moke

Tony,
I guess I do things similar to what you do with the NRS. I do everything in batches, 15 to 20 pens. I cut everything to length, drill them all, etc, etc....except, I have a metal lathe, I turn them all down to close to the bushings, then finish shape with a NRS on a wood lathe. I get 40 or so total pens that way, on each side of the NRS. I don't think I'm turning while it is dull. I do occasionally use a skew, maybe 25% of the time, but I didn't figure that in. I only make a batch every five to six weeks, so I use a NRS insert a long time. I color the side that is dull with a sharpie, so I don't accidentally use it again. I might add, I only turn acrylic. Well I guess I do make a few segmented wood, but I use a skew to turn those.
If I am turning while its somewhat dull, it really doesn't act dull at least to excess anyway.
Thanks for bringing this up....I enjoy your posts.

TonyL

Tony,
I guess I do things similar to what you do with the NRS. I do everything in batches, 15 to 20 pens. I cut everything to length, drill them all, etc, etc....except, I have a metal lathe, I turn them all down to close to the bushings, then finish shape with a NRS on a wood lathe. I get 40 or so total pens that way, on each side of the NRS. I don't think I'm turning while it is dull. I do occasionally use a skew, maybe 25% of the time, but I didn't figure that in. I only make a batch every five to six weeks, so I use a NRS insert a long time. I color the side that is dull with a sharpie, so I don't accidentally use it again. I might add, I only turn acrylic. Well I guess I do make a few segmented wood, but I use a skew to turn those.
If I am turning while its somewhat dull, it really doesn't act dull at least to excess anyway.
Thanks for bringing this up....I enjoy your posts.
Thanks for the input (and compliment). I had a order for several pens, so I prepped 8 to 10 ( I am primarily a skew guy). I was impressed by how the NRS's performed on AA and Alumilite. I was less impressed with the next 5 to 10. Again, if I use my HSS gouge to turn the blank down 75% and I get 35 to 40 total from one insert, I will take it. I just wanted to see if I was in the ballpark. I bought, but haven't tried the round NRS yet. I have only used the square 4 inch radius insert so far. I would love it if the made the NRS's to where you can flip them over. I don't know if the formerly positive rake side would be as sharp after its opposite side has been used. Just thinking (silly thoughts). :)

Top Bottom