4 members...21,477+++ posts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

The top 10 in the members list actually have almost 40,000 posts. That doesn't even take into account the members whose counts have been reset (in some cases, more than once).

Dario

Okay all 4 just posted...that count increased some again!!! LOL [}:)]

Actually...I just learned that the count is about 1,000 of and should be 22,568 (as of this minute) [:D]

Dario

Originally posted by smoky10
<br />The four of you need to get away from the "puter" for a while. [;)] I know you can get help for your forum addiction if you try. [:D] Go turn something.

I may be producing the least turnings out of those 4 but I assure you, WE all are turning (too) [:D][;)] LOL

Randy_

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />A penny for your thoughts........
that equals $ 214.77 [:D]

There was a piece on the TV last night saying that a penny is now worth twice what it is worth..... leave it to the government??.....
shakehead.gif
..... With the recent rise in the cost of raw metal, seems that the cost of the copper in a penny is more than one cent. Something similar is true for the nickel. Maybe we will be going back to steel pennies ans nickels soon??

BTW, the government's solution is to pass a law making it illegal to melt down pennies and nickels.[:D][:D]

So maybe that thought is really worth $429.54??

alamocdc

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />A penny for your thoughts........
that equals $ 214.77 [:D]

There was a piece on the TV last night saying that a penny is now worth twice what it is worth..... leave it to the government??&lt;shaking his head in disgust&gt; With the recent rise in the cost of raw metal, seems that the cost of the copper in a penny is more than one cent. Something similar is true for the nickel. Maybe we will be going back to steel pennies ans nickels soon??

BTW, the government's solution is to pass a law making it illegal to melt down pennies and nickels.[:D][:D]

So maybe that thought is really worth $429.54??

Actually today's pennies are copper coated zinc. I know this from a guy that built his own foundry, cast his own metal lathe (including cross sliding vise, etc.). He needed copper for something and used pennies... but he had to choose pennies older than [?] (sorry, but I can't remember the date b/c it wasn't important enough to me).

Randy_

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />.....Actually today's pennies are copper coated zinc......but he had to choose pennies older than [?] (sorry, but I can't remember the date b/c it wasn't important enough to me)....

From some Internet site???
<br /> Before 1982, pennies were 95% copper and 5% zinc. Then after 1982, the composition was 97.6% zinc, and 2.4% copper.

Billy, are you sure they are coated as opposed to being an alloy?? Seems like the coating would wear off pretty quickly if it was copper?

Which raises another interesting question. Are the copper pens plated with pure copper or some copper alloy. Again, seems like the copper plating would wear off pretty quick if it were pure copper??

BigRob777

And to think that Jim has a baby and a busy job.... Make sure you say "Hi" to your wife every now and then.

I'll be happy when I hit 2,000. I think Darick is going to be on the front page (of the members' list) before the end of next year.
Rob

woodwish

Originally posted by chitswood
<br />#1,000

I'm so far behind[:(]

Chits, I remember when you made your 1000th post you were a member of the HAC (Hot Air Club) and they made a big deal out of it. When I hit it a few months ago no one even noticed since so many have hit that mark. Anyway, from one HAC'er to another- Congrats!

angboy

<br />Of course, women "NEVER" worry about who is larger?? Could be why so many plastic surgeons doing boob jobs are going broke??[}:)][}:)][:D][:D]

Touche, touche... but you know the only reason we do those kind of things is b/c we know that's what the man wants! So it still boils down to the male desire for larger... post counts!

alamocdc

Randy, he told me they were coated, and then said, "Cut one in half and you'll see." I believed him and didn't see the need.

My dear, Angela... there are so many directions I could go with that, but I think I'll be a gentleman for once. [;)]

Rifleman1776

<br />
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />.....Actually today's pennies are copper coated zinc......but he had to choose pennies older than [?] (sorry, but I can't remember the date b/c it wasn't important enough to me)....

From some Internet site???
<br /> Before 1982, pennies were 95% copper and 5% zinc. Then after 1982, the composition was 97.6% zinc, and 2.4% copper.

Billy, are you sure they are coated as opposed to being an alloy?? Seems like the coating would wear off pretty quickly if it was copper?

Which raises another interesting question. Are the copper pens plated with pure copper or some copper alloy. Again, seems like the copper plating would wear off pretty quick if it were pure copper??

I think I recall early posts about it being a plating and that it does wear off quickly. I have avoided for that reason.

Randy_

Originally posted by angboy
[br.....the only reason we do those kind of things is b/c we know that's what the man wants.....

And don't think that we don't appreciate it!!
2006-03-30_150759_rofl3.gif

But I will admit that some ladies carry it a little too far.[}:)]

M

Mudder

<br />

From the New York Times:

"Appearances aside, pennies no longer contain much copper. In the middle of 1982, after copper prices rose to record levels, the mint starting making pennies that consist mostly of zinc, with just a thin copper coating."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/22/business/22charts.html?ex=1303358400&en=a4046a4dea6fa38e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

http://www.usatoday.com/money/2006-05-09-penny-usat_x.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom