3X3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drcal

Drcal

Does anyone have a source for DRY 3X3X12 spindles?
They have to be dry enough to turn and finish.
Thanks

Carmen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

You local lumber yard (not Home depot) that sells to the trades locally may have something you can use.

You could call Amazon Exotic Hardwoods (about an hour NE of you) or check their website and see what they have that would meet your needs. Kiln dried domestic hardwoods are pretty easy to find. Dry tropical hardwoods are much harder to source with the exception of the ones that find a lot of use for flooring and such (e.g. brazilian cherry, ipe, maybe purpleheart).

I've never come across a piece of highly figured tropical hardwood that was equivalent to kiln dried lumber. I've gotten wax sealed cocobolo that sat in a garage for 20 years that still was not "dry". Having said that, I've turned a lot of spindle projects from green tropical woods and never had a problem. You do need to anticipate some shrinkage if you are turning to any critical dimensions.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Ed

Last edited:

KenV

Choice Woods is featuring Osage Orange in nominal 3 by 3 by 12 --

I like the golden brown color it ages to --

Curly

If you want Olive, George might have some or willing to cut it to size for you.
He has a corner in the Vendor forums.
Here is an example of some I got from him a few years ago.

attachment.php

Attachments

• PB160015.jpg
    PB160015.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 513

sailing_away

Be a little careful with the waxed wood from Woodcraft. All the ones I got from there were really wet. I made several pepper mills from citrus wood (and other woods) I got off craigsist. Old, dead trees that were still standing. Very dry and had some nice spalting. Send me a PM if you want to see some examples. I am in Tampa as well.

healeydays

In your back yard (St Pete) is rob at Funktionhouse who specializes in urban lumber and down there in Florida, you know interesting things can be found in people's yards that can't grow up my way. If he doesn't have what you are looking for, he sure can find it for you...

Funktionhouse | Urban Lumber and Furnishings
(727) 366-4429 | (727) 286-0589

sailing_away

I like the laminated ones as well. I am going to try some in the very near future. I really like the combination of the light and dark woods. Very nice.

Top Bottom