3d Printing a lathe dust collection hood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I designed and 3d printed a dust collection hood for my Jet 1221 wood lathe. The hood connects to my little shopvac behind the lathe, and it is held in place with an inexpensive HF magnetic mount attached to the banjo. It partially encircles whatever is being turned and therefore is best suited for pen turning or short spindles. I have a pretty light touch so it collects most of the dust and maybe 80+% of the chips produced. Major improvement!
dust_collector2.jpg
dust_collector.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

That should definitely cut down on what would escape from a regular tunnel hood...I dont have access to anything 3D printed but it does give me ideas for my own out of control dust problem. Thanks for sharing.

FGarbrecht

This works for the metal lathe too. Prevents ebonite strings from winding around the piece while cutting, I assume would work with acrylic and alumilite too. Probably not for metal but I haven't tried it yet, would probably need to move the vac hood closer to get enough suction to draw in metal cutoffs.

Last edited:

FGarbrecht

Excellent idea. Will print one and try it out.
If you grab the stl from Thingiverse, just know that if you slice it with the vac tube inlet parallel to the print bed you'll have a tendency for the shopvac tube to stress the part where it inserts and tear it apart. Epoxy and or duct tape solve the problem, but I have a second version with a separately printed vac tube inlet to directly solve the issue, just haven't uploaded it yet. You'll generally need supports no matter how you orient this beast. If you want the 2nd version feel free to pm me your email and I can send the file to you.

Top Bottom