3D Printed Jigs & Fixtures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Along the lines of "shop built" jigs and fixtures are 3D printed versions. @Wmcullen has put a number of them in the 3D Print Files resource area, and he was gifting a couple in this thread. Printing opens up a whole new approach to jigs especially. Of course it opens up a huge can of worms relative to owning a printer and knowing how to use it and design parts for printing, but there's no free lunch, as they say.

Where I work, technicians are often working with aerodynamically shaped parts, i.e. turbine blades, survey rakes for wind tunnel testing, etc.. Holding these partss securely for doing things like drilling along an edge, or at precisely the same location in dozens of them is a real challenge. In the "old days" they'd fashion vise jaws and locating fixtures out of wood, or dental plaster. Today, they take a solid model file, generate a mirror image of the odd-shaped surface, and print a plastic or hard rubber mate. 3D printers have become almost as indispensable in a modern shop as a drill press. Where I work, making sure there's enough 3D printer feedstock is as important as keeping a good stock of drill bits and end mills.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jontello

Thanks for sharing and for the links. I guess i need to invest in a good 3d printer to stay with the trend of things!

jttheclockman

This was a person I was thinking of that would fit perfectly into this new forum catagory. Job well done. Not something I am going out buying but it does lend to other ways to accomplish this.

Wmcullen

I expect 3d printing will continue to get easier, cheaper and more reliable as time goes on. Presently, it can be more fun than frustrating once you're over the hump.
If you're curious about "what ordinary do people do with 3d printers," check out a website like https://www.thingiverse.com/
You'll see an assortment of decorative, functional, or just cleaver objects you might buy at the Dollar Store if anyone cared to mass-produce them. You'll also see plenty of innovative jigs and tool aids. There's plenty to get inspired by.
3D printing is useful to our forum because "jigs focused on a niche hobby" are the perfect type of thing that may not get mass-produced.
Again, thanks for setting this up!
- Cullen

Last edited:

wayner123

Where is the 3D Print Files resource area? I have a couple files that I have created, and I would like to share with the community.

Top Bottom