#37 - Motorcycle with Jack Daniels cask wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Painfullyslow

Painfullyslow

Nothing terribly exciting, I am still getting a feel for the new lathe so wanting to keep things simple.

Motorcycle pen made with Jack Daniels cask wood. They are made from oak and it was quite boring once turned so I torched the outside just a bit to give it a little character.

Finish is abranet > CA > Micromesh > Zona > Novus 3,2,1

20220516_181631.jpg

20220516_181728.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I think your 'torch' application is superb. I have made just a few barrel blank pens, and while the 'story' was the key, the visual was less impressive. Yours is very nice, well done.

RGVPens

Awesome torch job! Very evenly spread color. It's hard to not get a couple of darker spots...at least for me šŸ¤£

I've heard some people drill the blank off center to preserve the char from the inside of the barrel, But I drill on the lathe so that won't work.
I have both a motorcycle kit and Jack Daniel's blanks but haven't tried either yet.

Painfullyslow

I like the color you got from torching it. I'm not a huge fan of oak, so any reason to burn it is a good one lol.

Thanks! I am very new to turning so this is my first oak blank but I have cut plenty of oak firewood and know that it is a very plain looking material. I figured that I would have to spruce it up a bit and the char on the outside of the barrel blank was what gave me the idea to whip out the old propane torch.

Now that I have seen the results I think I may do a bit more with this on some of the more plain looking woods.

Sataro

Nothing terribly exciting, I am still getting a feel for the new lathe so wanting to keep things simple.

Motorcycle pen made with Jack Daniels cask wood. They are made from oak and it was quite boring once turned so I torched the outside just a bit to give it a little character.

View attachment 335191

View attachment 335192

View attachment 335191

View attachment 335192
Very nice looking pen! Torching effect is definitely a nice touch.

egnald

Very nice pen. I have found it much easier to move the charred edge on the blank after turning rather than trying to drill offset to preserve the original char. (In other words, like you, I torch, but I only torch a single line to "move the char" to its new location. ;) - Dave

Top Bottom