316 Stainless Steel Stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chuck Key

Chuck Key

Solid metal no kit from 1" stainless bar stock. Turned on a mini metal lathe.

20071111212522_STOPPER.jpg

Chuckie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Glass Scratcher

How much was the bar stock?

Online Metals sells 1" solid rod at $3.03 per inch or you may be able to get some at ebay in four foot sections for somewhat less money. Three inches required for this one.

Chuckie

GaryMGg

Very nice. Can you share some experience regarding mini-metal lathes such as what features to look for? I've got a desire for one on my long list; maybe late next year.
Thanks.

Chuck Key

Originally posted by GaryMGg

Can you share some experience regarding mini-metal lathes such as what features to look for?

I used a Homier Speedway 7x12 to make the stopper. When I purchased the lathe 6 or 7 years ago I had the choice amoung the Homier, Grizzly and Harbor Freight Lathes. I eliminated the HF due to bed length and purchased the Homier based on the $299 price vs Grizzly $500.00 at the time. The lathes are basically the same. If I were buying today I would choose between the Homier at $299 or the Cummins lathe at $399. The Cummins is shipped with a few accessories that I would need so I would probably choose that one in the end. The two are basically the same lathe.

Beyond that what you need for accessories will depend on what you will be doing with the lathe.

I also have a 9x36 Southbend Model A but use the smaller 7 x 12 much more frequently.

Chuckie

Edit:

Here is a what a stainless steel stopper purchased from torne-lignum then polished might look like:

20071113163246_STOPRN.jpg

Top Bottom