300amp service with sub panel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I do not know anything about electricity. I'm looking to move next year. Builder offers option of 300amp up grade with 60amp or 100amp sub panel. Plans are for pool, heater, spa, whole house natural gas fueled generator. Why would I not get a 100amp sub panel. Price is the same for 60 or 100. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Ours is a 200amp panel with a 100amp sub panel in the garage. The one in the garage serves it and the shop above. The only thing in the house side that uses big power is the dryer. The heat, water and stove are natural gas. The biggest in the garage right now is the 5hp air compressor. In the shop it will be the 5hp dust collector. The other machines are smaller. The only thing I could see needing more power would be a welder. While a pool and spa would be a treat they would need to be indoor as the season is just too short to justify outdoor ones and that just ain't going to happen. ;)

WriteON

Ours is a 200amp panel with a 100amp sub panel in the garage. The one in the garage serves it and the shop above. The only thing in the house side that uses big power is the dryer. The heat, water and stove are natural gas. The biggest in the garage right now is the 5hp air compressor. In the shop it will be the 5hp dust collector. The other machines are smaller. The only thing I could see needing more power would be a welder. While a pool and spa would be a treat they would need to be indoor as the season is just too short to justify outdoor ones and that just ain't going to happen. ;)
Our indoor pool is a bathtub.

DrD

In the winter it is the ice cube tray in the freezer. Warmer in there than outside. ;)
No joke. The longest 18 years of our life was the 18 months we lived in Outtagamie County WI. Attached garage was not heated. In winter if we wanted to quick freeze anything, we laid it on the hood of my Bronco - much colder than the freezer.

donstephan

The needed amperage for a panel and for sub-panels depends on what demands are anticipated, and what future unanticipated demands you want to try to accomodate. It is hard to suggest a sub-panel capacity with no idea what it will be supplying.

WriteON

Let's just say any reason not to get 100sub panel. Aside from pool, pool heater, generator, the garage will have 3 lathes, 2 dust collectors, Split A/C.

Last edited:

WriteON

No joke. The longest 18 years of our life was the 18 months we lived in Outtagamie County WI. Attached garage was not heated. In winter if we wanted to quick freeze anything, we laid it on the hood of my Bronco - much colder than the freezer.

If a police officer says freeze is he being sarcastic?

Reactions: DrD

jttheclockman

Why is he offering a 300 amp upgrade?? Even with a pool unless you are putting in a seperate garage workshop with large amp drawing tools and more than a one man shop, or elevators, or whole house electric heat in the house that is overkill. The 100 amp sub panel is fine because you can always use a 60 amp breaker but wires are sized for full upgrade if need be. Today you can get a 60 or 80 space panel. people upgrade thinking they have to to get more room in a panel. Not true. Things need to load calculated. If you are using alot of 2pole breakers than that is where spaces in a panel count most. One 220volt circuit can be less draw that 2 seperate 120 volt circuits and they took up the same spaces.

jttheclockman

Let's just say any reason not to get 100sub panel. Aside from pool, pool heater, generator, the garage will have 3 lathes, 2 dust collectors, Dremel. Split A/C.

It can have all the tools in the world but if it is a one man shop one tool is operated at a time. Not at all easy to make any kind of suggestions if you do not know load. you can anticipate and plan for the future but when you get up above 200 amp services things change code wise and also local codes. Why are you mentioning generator?? That is not drawing current. Now if you are using the panel as a transfer power panel in case of emergencies than that falls under different rules.

TALK TO AN ELECTRICIAN FROM YOUR TOWN THAT YOU ARE BUYING IN (best advice that can be given you)

WriteON

It can have all the tools in the world but if it is a one man shop one tool is operated at a time. Not at all easy to make any kind of suggestions if you do not know load. you can anticipate and plan for the future but when you get up above 200 amp services things change code wise and also local codes. Why are you mentioning generator?? That is not drawing current. Now if you are using the panel as a transfer power panel in case of emergencies than that falls under different rules.

TALK TO AN ELECTRICIAN FROM YOUR TOWN THAT YOU ARE BUYING IN (best advice that can be given you)
Absolutely will talk to a professional electrician. Some of the people have electric cars .... maybe that's why the 300/100 is offered. Anyway I'm just asking questions and trying educate myself. Mentioned generator because it's more wiring. So... difference between 60 & 100amp sub panel.... is it only to allow more breakers to be available? The service will be 300amp regardless of the sub panel.

jttheclockman

Absolutely will talk to a professional electrician. Some of the people have electric cars .... maybe that's why the 300/100 is offered. Anyway I'm just asking questions and trying educate myself. Mentioned generator because it's more wiring. So... difference between 60 & 100amp sub panel.... is it only to allow more breakers to be available? The service will be 300amp regardless of the sub panel.

No the difference between a 60amp and 100 amp panel is huge. You can not use a 100 amp breaker in a 60 amp panel but you can use a 60 amp breaker in a 100 amp panel. There definitely will be more spaces in the 100 amp panel but again you can get different amount spaces and the cost is effected. The 100 amp panel allows much more for expansion and add ons and there is always add ons. That is why I am saying go with the 100 amp and it will be wired for that but you can downgrade the main breaker to a 60 amp if you choose but do not see why you want to. Buy once as they say.

WriteON

No the difference between a 60amp and 100 amp panel is huge. You can not use a 100 amp breaker in a 60 amp panel but you can use a 60 amp breaker in a 100 amp panel. There definitely will be more spaces in the 100 amp panel but again you can get different amount spaces and the cost is effected. The 100 amp panel allows much more for expansion and add ons and there is always add ons. That is why I am saying go with the 100 amp and it will be wired for that but you can downgrade the main breaker to a 60 amp if you choose but do not see why you want to. Buy once as they say.
300/60.....300/100. Same price regardless.

Last edited:

duncsuss

300/60.....300/100. Same price regardless.
There is no downside to a panel that is capable of handling more than you need/use.

Quick guesstimates on my shop: lathe Nova 1624 lathe = 20 A; dust collector = 15 A; lights/fridge/fans = 5 A. That's 40 A. If we only had a 60 A panel, that would leave 20 A for the oven, washer, drier, a/c units, lights, tv, freezer ...

jttheclockman

There is no downside to a panel that is capable of handling more than you need/use.

Quick guesstimates on my shop: lathe Nova 1624 lathe = 20 A; dust collector = 15 A; lights/fridge/fans = 5 A. That's 40 A. If we only had a 60 A panel, that would leave 20 A for the oven, washer, drier, a/c units, lights, tv, freezer ...
Like your shop:)

jttheclockman

I hope it was clear that the period after "5 A" delimited between my garage shop and the rest of the house (although when we first moved in, the washer & drier were in the garage ... that had to change PDQ!)
Kind of figured that but hey a shop with all that in it means it is a grand shop. Whenever building a shop from scratch it is always great to do a layout plan and add extra outlets or circuits in JB even if not connected in panel. I put a trougth up in the ceiling of my shop and just piped to a sub panel and pulled a few extra wires up there that are not connected but can easily be used in the future if need be. But at this point I would have to put an addition onto the house and we all know that will not fly. :)

pshrynk

The needed amperage for a panel and for sub-panels depends on what demands are anticipated, and what future unanticipated demands you want to try to accomodate. It is hard to suggest a sub-panel capacity with no idea what it will be supplying.
Lived in La Crosse for several years, now in Minnesota. We used to use our unheated, enclosed back porch as an auxiliary refrigerator from November to March.

Woodchipper

FWIW, my parents built a house and Dad had the electrician install two 200 amp panels. Plenty of room for additional curcuits if needed plus never had overloads on any breaker.

Herb G

One thing nobody has mentioned thus far is the fact there is no such thing as a 300 amp residential panel.
You will most likely get either 2 - 150 amp panels side by side, or a 200 amp plus a 100 amp panel side by side.
The main difference is the meter can. A 300 amp meter can is very expensive vs a standard 200 amp meter can.
Either way, you have to decide what you will need now, and what it would cost now, vs an upgrade in the future.
If there is any chance you will sell the home in the future you will be wise to consider a larger panel and service
because the future owner will greatly appreciate the room to expand after they move in.

Either way, consult a local, licensed, bonded, Journeyman electrician in your area to go over the fine points
with you BEFORE you decide either way.
Personally, I'd go with the largest service and largest panels I could get, so there would be room for any
additional equipment I would consider adding in the future.

Hope this helps.

jttheclockman

One thing nobody has mentioned thus far is the fact there is no such thing as a 300 amp residential panel.
You will most likely get either 2 - 150 amp panels side by side, or a 200 amp plus a 100 amp panel side by side.
The main difference is the meter can. A 300 amp meter can is very expensive vs a standard 200 amp meter can.
Either way, you have to decide what you will need now, and what it would cost now, vs an upgrade in the future.
If there is any chance you will sell the home in the future you will be wise to consider a larger panel and service
because the future owner will greatly appreciate the room to expand after they move in.

Either way, consult a local, licensed, bonded, Journeyman electrician in your area to go over the fine points
with you BEFORE you decide either way.
Personally, I'd go with the largest service and largest panels I could get, so there would be room for any
additional equipment I would consider adding in the future.

Hope this helps.

It is a 300 amp service. How they split the panels and size of panels is up to the contractor in the house he is buying. But seems they are offering alternatives and thus his question. When you get into 300 and 400amp services you need to show a need for this. Now if in a residential or community development this maybe common. Thus the suggestion to talk to a licensed electrician from the area because of not only national code rules but also local codes. We as a society are really stepping up demands in electricity. Seen many 60 amp services in my day and in fact my parents home was 60 amp with knob and tube wiring.

WriteON

Decision made. 300 w/100sub is going in. Thanks for everyone's input. Just curious about whole house surge protector on panels.... do you have one?

Gary Beasley

Decision made. 300 w/100sub is going in. Thanks for everyone's input. Just curious about whole house surge protector on panels.... do you have one?
Those are getting to be standard equipment nowadays. When I got my Nova lathe they recommended adding a surge protector because of the electronics driving the motor. Your shop will benefit from it, more and more tools are being built with computer circuits to monitor and regulate operation.

WriteON

You really mean three speeds don't you? Slow, stop and forgot. 🤣
If it weren't for memory loss I would not have any. For now the priorities are turn off the gas range And turn off the car engine. Everything else is a bonus.....
EDIT: forgot to mention...Remember to REMOVE chuck key & Tommy Bars from chuck. I'm too slow to duck or move away lately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom