3 sided...now what?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Allen

Dale Allen

I had this crazy idea that I wanted to make a 3 sided drill through ornament.
This was a real treat to drill on the lathe!:eek:

I got this far but now what to do to finish it?
There are 2 coats of CA on the inside and outside, using a q-tip.
This is African mahogany. Blank was about 2.2" on the sides and I used a 35mm forstner bit. This was kind of a test because I was thinking the bit would be too big. I guess there is enough wood on one end to turn a finial but it would kind of look plain.

Attachments

• three-side.jpg
    three-side.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 228

Mr Vic

Remount in a chuck and part of one end. Attach a light color wood, yellow heart or holly and turn an icicle. You can then either turn the finial or repeat the process in contrasting wood.

Ed McDonnell

Here's what I would suggest not doing. Make a six sided version, plop it on a failed candle stick and then put the whole thing in the "I'll get back to it someday pile" for at least 5 years. Then pull it from the junk pile, take a photo and post it on a forum to help others avoid your mistake. :)

What i would try is to turn it into a sphere and suspend a little bell or a translucent acrylic turning in the interior. I made some six sided versions like that a couple years ago that people seemed to like. It's much easier to get a sphere with a four or six sided version.

Ed

Attachments

• 6 Sided.jpg
    6 Sided.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 186

Dale Allen

Hehe, you mentioned 6 sided and I was thinking a hexagon. Silly me. Although, I think I have a 12" blank that is already a hexagon that was for something else. But I can't remember what!
An orb in the enter is a good idea though.

Maybe suspended with opposing magnets!:question:

Top Bottom