3 Sided Bowl/Boxes from a cube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

Finally got these finished last night and it is raining now so the pics are not the flashest. Had a lot of trouble with the finish, the first one I posted was WOP but that refused to work on these so they ended up with "Kyrlon" clear varnish.

The small box is from a 3.75in cube of Tasmanian Myrtle(Nothofagus cunninghamii).
The middle one is from a 4in cube of Blackheart Sassafras, the lid on this one is recessed down into the box. To maintain the pattern I had to use the same 4in blank and believe it or not, the cube is bigger than the 4in blank, so I had to recess the lid for it to fit.
The bigger one is from a 4.25in cube of Canadian Yellow Cedar, and the lid is figured Tasmanian Myrtle. The pattern on the base is a sad attempt at woodburning.

Hope you enjoy, C&C welcome as usual.

Bob.:)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 219
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 226
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 174
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hey Bob,

Glad to see that you manage to get the lot done, they all look a lot of work but very nice looking pieces.

I hope that your fingers/hands didn't suffer too in the process, these type turning are well know to be "hands destroyers"...!

I can't explain the problems you had with the finish but they all look pretty good from where I stand so, a well earned effort, congrats...!

PS: No boxes yet...???

Cheers
George

Justturnin

NOOO, a three sided box. It defies physics......... HAHAHA, they look great. I have been wanting to do some more larger turnings and you guys posting these bowls and such are really motivating me.

Top Bottom